Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Sunday, November 17, 2019 12:40 PM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jcasses
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is this board dead?  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2019 - 05:18 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Can anybody name the US riders in the last TDF?

Last edited by jcasses on Nov 08, 2019 - 05:32 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
jcasses
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is this board dead?  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2019 - 05:18 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

No Lance. No Floyd. No Tour de GA. Hows BRAG doing these days? ........not much to cheer about.

Last edited by jcasses on Nov 08, 2019 - 05:36 AM; edited 3 times in total

jcasses
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2019 - 05:19 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

The Lance bubble......sounds about right. I for one found other things to do. I still have my bike, haven't moved, I ride it maybe once a year. It's still fun......that one ride a year makes me remember how fun riding is. My last ride I managed to catch a wheel of a few riders speeding by......boy was that fun......the memories came rushing back to me......it's so fun to go fast. Still busy with "other things". Right now "other things" rule. Glad ya'll are still at it but yes......seems like the cycling craze has slowed since Lance. He lied, he cheated, fooled us all.....gave us a reason to find "other things".

JC

biker1881
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is this board dead?  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2019 - 09:47 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

I can't speak to the board. But attendance at organized rides seems down. There are less organized rides as well. I noted this is the least I have ever travelled for rides. A lot of rides are folding and only the big ones are mostly left (Serrano, BRAG, MACC just to name a few).

On the local front in middle GA, rides seem to include only those that are racing (20+ mph). So nothing is going on outdoors to entice the casual or beginner rider.

I am ok with riding solo but most are not. SO they have either quit riding or ride indoors. Or gravel / woods. Many are sick of the dangers of the road as well.

Considering the decline at the moment, I worry what things will look like in 5+ years.

jcasses wrote:
No Lance. No Floyd. No Tour de GA. Hows BRAG doing these days? ........not much to cheer about.

therider
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is this board dead?  PostPosted: Nov 11, 2019 - 06:06 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

biker1881 wrote:
I can't speak to the board. But attendance at organized rides seems down. There are less organized rides as well. I noted this is the least I have ever travelled for rides. A lot of rides are folding and only the big ones are mostly left (Serrano, BRAG, MACC just to name a few).

I went to Claxton this past weekend for the Cruisin in the Country century. I've always wanted to do it even though I knew that ride has been in a huge decline for many years now. They only had 150 pre-registered riders, and they'd be lucky if all those showed up (didn't look like a lot there at 8am). Of course it was pretty chilly at the start, around 40F, but it did warm up to about 55.

Maybe people just get tired of doing the same rides all the time, idk. I used to do the Wilson 100 and Covington century every year but now I don't.

I started riding gravel this year, pretty excited about that since it's such a nice change from 30 years of road cycling. New adventures await......

biker1881
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is this board dead?  PostPosted: Nov 14, 2019 - 10:15 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

therider wrote:
biker1881 wrote:

I went to Claxton this past weekend for the Cruisin in the Country century. I've always wanted to do it even though I knew that ride has been in a huge decline for many years now. They only had 150 pre-registered riders, and they'd be lucky if all those showed up (didn't look like a lot there at 8am). Of course it was pretty chilly at the start, around 40F, but it did warm up to about 55.

Maybe people just get tired of doing the same rides all the time, idk. I used to do the Wilson 100 and Covington century every year but now I don't.

I started riding gravel this year, pretty excited about that since it's such a nice change from 30 years of road cycling. New adventures await......

I was at Cruisin' as well and did not start until 9 AM. I thought the ride was well organized and well done compared to a lot of others rides I did this year. It's not even close to what it was prior to 2010 but it's still pretty dang good.

That registration number is disappointing. They offered a discounted rate of $35 at one of the BRAG rest stops earlier this year. Guess not many took advantage. We will see if they do something similar to UTC and decide to fold after a milestone anniversary (next year's UTC will be the 30th and Cruisin's 25th).

As far as Cruisin' goes, I think it's location. There isn't a strong enough local population to support rides like that. So it relies on a ton of out of town visitors and I don't think many want to drive to these rides anymore. The big ATL rides don't have much trouble attracting riders.

The starting price for the Wilson and Covington are huge negatives ($55-$65). The Serrano and MACC remain hot due to low cost relative to the amenities provided. Location and price seem to be the two biggest factors.

Feels like the road rides as we know them are dying. Not just organized rides but the amount of interest itself. Look at the age of the ride organizers and participating riders and it could be the beginning of the end....sad to say. Guess we'll see what next year brings. But I am seeing a lot more gravel rides and a lot more Zwift rides. Could be as simple as safety and getting the eff away from cars

biker1881
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is this board dead?  PostPosted: Nov 14, 2019 - 10:18 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

[quote="biker1881"]
therider wrote:
biker1881 wrote:

I was at Cruisin' as well and did not start until 9 AM. I thought the ride was well organized and well done compared to a lot of others rides I did this year. It's not even close to what it was prior to 2010 but it's still pretty dang good.

That registration number is disappointing. They offered a discounted rate of $35 at one of the BRAG rest stops earlier this year. Guess not many took advantage. We will see if they do something similar to UTC and decide to fold after a milestone anniversary (next year's UTC will be the 30th and Cruisin's 25th).

As far as Cruisin' goes, I think it's location. There isn't a strong enough local population to support rides like that. So it relies on a ton of out of town visitors and I don't think many want to drive to these rides anymore. The big ATL rides don't have much trouble attracting riders.

The starting price for the Wilson and Covington are huge negatives ($55-$65). The Serrano and MACC remain hot due to low cost relative to the amenities provided. Location and price seem to be the two biggest factors.

Feels like the road rides as we know them are dying. Not just organized rides but the amount of interest itself. Look at the age of the ride organizers and participating riders and it could be the beginning of the end....sad to say. Guess we'll see what next year brings. But I am seeing a lot more gravel rides and a lot more Zwift rides. Could be as simple as safety and getting the eff away from cars

I am hoping BRAG and Franklin Johnson can figure out a way to attract the younger riders. Even with a steady ridership of 1,000+ riders, most of BRAG's riders are 50+. But given what we have discussed and the logistics of pulling off a week long ride, he may have his work cut out for him.

Jump to: