Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:33 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
forrest
Post subject: A fix for the Garmin Edge "stuck at boot" problem  PostPosted: May 18, 2019 - 07:26 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I have been using an Edge 520 GPS unit for a year and a half now and have a few rides on it. When I rode on Thursday, it whined that it would automatically delete old rides. This morning, I went to move all the files out of the "Activities" directory, and the device caused some USB ports on my machine (Win7 based) to freeze. The Edge refused to boot after that and remained on the initial splash screen. Google was returning its typical puerile results; e.g. terms like "soft reset" were ignored, and I was met with useless guides like "How to factory reset your Garmin Edge." Not wanting to have my day ruined by Google, I continued to search for a way to do a soft reset or take an image of the flash. The following video ended up having the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoSCj9M7liM

The gist of it is that you hold the lap button which looks like an arrow chasing its own tail, you plug in the USB cable, and you wait for 25 or so seconds. After 10 seconds, the computer did not recognize the device, and after 20 or 25 seconds, the image on the boot screen changed to something like an iPod Nano with some earphones, and the mass storage device showed up.

tl;dr: My GPS broke, and Google is the Cliff Clavin of the Internet.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: