Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, July 15, 2019 04:28 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Yuppiepuppie
Post subject: Anniston Ride on the Comet!  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2019 - 05:00 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I’m planning a ride to Anniston AL on the Silver Comet Trail beginning Tuesday, April 30th, and returning Wednesday, May 1st. The ride will be a little under a hundred miles, and the pace will be determined by the slowest rider (-If the group’s big enough, we usually split up into “packs” determined by abilities). My speed will be the slowest, and average 11-14 mph, and we’ll stop along the way as the urge strikes. We usually eat breakfast or lunch in Rockmart or Cedartown. We’ll decide which before we head out.

We’ve done this ride many times before, and have learned over the years the best places to eat and stay. From that experience, we’ll “credit card camp” at the Hampton Inn in Jacksonville AL (They have the best breakfast bar, and they allow us to take our bikes to our rooms). The Hampton also arranges for a van to drive us to a local restaurant for dinner.

The beginning point will be at the Publix parking lot at mile marker -01. Publix allows us to park our vehicles in their parking lot as long as we park up close to the road/trail. It’s well-lit, and the safest place. We’ll start a little after sunrise; between 7:30 and 8, and meander ourselves down the Comet.

For those of you who haven’t ridden on the Silver Comet, it’s one of the BEST places in Georgia to ride a bike! It belongs to the Rails to Trails project, and is a converted train line that travels between Smyrna and Anniston. Nothing with a motor is permitted, and it’s well patrolled by the various counties that it travels through. It’s also relatively flat (-Except for one stretch between Rockmart and Cedartown). We'll travel over old train trestles, and through several tunnels as we head towards the Alabama State line. We'll also pass through pastures filled with horses, cattle, and even buffalo!

At the state line, the trail changes names from the Silver Comet to the Chief Ladiga. The Ladiga begins by taking us through a National Forest area that’s absolutely beautiful! Further on, we’ll cycle through cotton fields and small towns. We usually stop in Piedmont Alabama at the welcome center to fill our bottles with ice water, then gab with the locals before continuing on.

The Jacksonville area of the trail weaves past Jacksonville State University, and past an old abandoned train station that was built by slave labor before the Civil War. From there, a trail spur will take us to the Hampton Inn for the night, or for those who want to see the end of the trail, Anniston isn't that much further down.

So join us if you can. Drop me an email at nealbowser@comcast.net if you’re interested. I’ll need to let the Hampton know how many riders to expect. We usually pair up two to a room to divide the costs. If the weather is lousy, we’ll postpone to the following Tuesday.

Veni Vidi Vomui
(I came, I saw, I vomited

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: