Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Sunday, April 21, 2019 08:33 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2019 - 04:08 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Sorry for the delay, but I’ve enjoyed reading the interesting and informative responses. They’ve actually changed my thinking.

Drago, the Strava thing I assume is an online posting of one’s activity. While I can see the value of comparing what I do with others, I would find little value in that kind of equating. My competition, if any, is with myself. I would like to see improvement in my performance, but when one is over 70, maintaining performance is more important.

I DO like the idea of pre-plotting rides using the GPS feature, and that in itself would take my riding activity to a new level. Now, I either do the SC or Stone Mountain Park loop. Occasionally I do the Arabia trail ride, but safety there is becoming a factor. The idea of following another route without pulling out an expensive hard-to-see-in-the-daylight iPhone makes perfect sense, and would justify its cost. I’ll begin my exploration of the various GPS models after Easter.

I’ve embraced the new technology in airplanes as well, and use it whenever I fly. I just don’t fixate on the multitude of numbers, or the overabundance of information. It’s like being at a wine-tasting. You choose what you like and spit out the rest. Knowing wind direction and speed at different altitudes is a tremendous advantage! The knowledge that by climbing or descending a couple thousand feet, can cut 15 or 20 minutes off of trip time is amazing! All of that information comes up on my iPad screen while in route, along with ADS-B targets, weather, fuel prices at various airports, and flight restrictions.

ADS-B has long been overdue, and the old system of 0-179° odd altitude plus 500’ VFR (-odd altitude IFR), and 180° to 360° even altitude plus 500’ worked just fine most of the time. The ADS-B implementation has created an awareness, and subsequent paranoia, with many pilots though. They weren’t aware of so many aircraft at or approaching their altitude, and their heads swiveled even more than normal under the old system. -A good thing. See and avoid counted on the “big sky” theory, and in over 50 years of flying, I’ve had only two really serious close calls (-Both while in the pattern of an airport).

TimH, you’ve also opened my eyes to electronic shifting. My thoughts were based on information given by my LBS. I couldn’t seem to get a straight answer. Then one of the guys in our Chain Gang had a serious malfunction with his Di2, which caused him to crash after the shifter mechanism went into his rear wheel spokes. His bike and rear wheel were totally destroyed. In my mind, he was the victim of overdone technology.

I do the three-at-a-time shifting with my Ultegra triple that you mentioned, and that works most of the time. There ARE situations though where I'll ride around a bend and come face to face with a monster hill. Then I must tap-dance the gears quickly. If what you’re saying is true, I would have a better option with electronic shifting. -Something else to explore on my new next bike.

Many Thanks!

Veni Vidi Vomui
(I came, I saw, I vomited

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: