Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Sunday, April 21, 2019 09:04 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2019 - 06:31 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Wow. Apparently I've upset you somehow. I was actually serious on how a cadence reading could help a rider. I'm always open to new information. The last two computers that I removed had cadence, but I could never tie the information into anything useful. Commenting on what we sometimes give up by "digitizing" our lives, offers a different slant on our sport. -A new perspective.

If we all "minded our own business" there would be no need for this forum, now would there? Finding humor in excessive water bottles, or old-man white legs, should not be offensive. -Or perhaps I've misunderstood your comment.

Veni Vidi Vomui
(I came, I saw, I vomited

Reply with quote Back to top
boogerhead
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2019 - 02:04 AM
StingRay Level
StingRay Level

I like to enjoy Mad Dog looking one way on the bridge when the sun comes up and the other way when it goes down Ha Ha

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bridge-to-nowhere-atlanta

motoBcane
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2019 - 10:50 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I've yet to buy or own a garmin or polar HR device, im kinda an ol' skool, low tech guy happy w just a simple cateye and tracking most of my rides in strava on my iPhone....but I only ride solo on the roads I know anyways. I like to keep it simple, but I guess to each his own....Tony Serrano anyone? Wink

Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2019 - 06:36 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

It seems like the younger generations are consumed with and by electronic devices. I visited one of my kids in Savannah last weekend (-GREAT place to cycle!), and his house is totally wired with the current gadgetry. Practically whatever you want, all that you need to do is speak it. "Alexa, lower the temperature by 2°", or Alexa, turn the TV on and play The Orville", or "Listen in on Ella's room." You can even voice order something from Amazon, or control the washing machine. Is it any wonder that schools are going to discontinue teaching cursive? It makes sense that we would now digitize our bicycles. Heaven help us when bicycle technology catches up with what's currently offered on motor vehicles. "Alexa, auto-balance me down the Silver Comet Trail and park in front of Linda's in Rockmart". "I'll peddle at whatever appropriate cadence that you require to get me there by 9:30 AM".

I grew up in a different time where Kuffel & Esser slide rules were used in high school and college. TV's had three channels, and I can remember when color was introduced. WE all thought it was so amazing, and how could they possibly create something more astonishing? In 1966 I purchased a state-of-the-art bicycle that had 5 derailleur gears. It was all-aluminum including the fenders, and was my main transportation in college, and later when my wife was pregnant (-We only had one car back then). Even with our relative lack of sophistication, we were happy and content.

-Which brings me back to my original premise. What do we really need when riding a primitive device like a bicycle? What are we gaining, and what are we losing? That's a question that will have different answers for different folks. I would hate to go back to my Kuffel & Esser slide rule (-I still have it!). A hand calculator is so much easier, and far more accurate.

I'm currently looking at a new bike, and some of the newer options make sense, and some don't. I like the comfort features of a Domane, as opposed to my Madone, and the newer compact drive systems seem to be superior to my old triple (-I need the super granny gearing). I remain unconvinced that the electronic shifting would afford any significant advantage, and the thought of running out of power on the trail concerns me. All of the newer carbon wonders are lighter than a popcorn fart, especially when compared to my original 5-speed all-aluminum wonder (-that I just recently gave to Goodwill).

So here we are, and it would be really interesting to look ahead 50 years. In our vanity, we think that our bicycles are at the pinnacle of perfection, but 50 years from now, perhaps they'd be considered lead-sleds to be scoffed at.

Anyone interested in a ride to Anniston next week or the week after? It'll be a slow affair, with gears humming along about an octave lower than "normal". -That translates into a 12-14 mph average pace.

Veni Vidi Vomui
(I came, I saw, I vomited

drago15
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2019 - 05:40 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Interesting discussion.

Main reason most of us use GPS nowadays is that when you kick ass on Strava it ABSOLUTELY needs to be recorded for all posterity.

Also - I had times when I plotted the ride ahead of time and it is easier to follow on the Garmin unit for me (I don't have a mount for the phone). And I like to see the heart rate - it usually tells me that I am slacking - or vice versa - if you feel like you're dying and it is confirmed by the HRM - that is always comforting - again - so that you make sure you are not just slacking. But yes - I remember when I used to handwrite my times from mile 0 to Rockmart after the ride Smile Now Strava and Garnim Connect do it all for you.

I would assume one of the main benefits of the new technology in the airplanes is better weather information. And the GPS gadget that shows you the airports that you are within gliding distance of can come in handy in case of engine out. As far as collision avoidance - I never understood how "see and avoid" can actually work other than if you're lucky. IMO they should make it illegal to fly around any airport without two way radio (like that guy that crashed into an instructor and student in Carrollton a couple of years ago). Be that as it may - they are making it mandatory now (I think starting Jan 1 next year) to have ADS-B (Out) installed in your airplane which will transmit your location to ATC and other equipped aircraft - although that will only be required in Mode C airspace - so what happened in Carrollton could easily happen again.

Re: the cryptic number posts along Silver Comet Trail in Cobb County - I agree it is a good idea - but they indeed look quite odd. I'm sure there is a good reason they have like one hundred and forty seven digits which no one will ever remember when reporting position to the emergency people - but perhaps it would be easier (especially since they are like 1/4 mile apart to just go by miles and make it something like 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, etc. So particularly for those who are on the trail a lot they would immediately know where they are without even looking instead of having to walk to the nearest sign... I guess the upside of this is that since you are never more than 1/8 of a mile away from one it should not take too long to get to the nearest one and just read the number...

Last but not least: I still don't understand the benefit of electrical shifting...? Other than some vague benefit in reducing the drivetrain wear? I am very skeptical about that claim … I have always had a problem with rapid drivetrain wear and I just don't think it can be cured... although the guys at the local bicycle shop did tell me to stay under 500 watts - very funny!! And I can't see how the computer can assure optimal shifting (i.e. optimal rpm) - whether for a racer or a recreational rider - it is a personal preference for each rider and what works for them as well as the terrain that you can see (but the computer can't see or anticipate...) That's like having race cars racing with automatic... So what is "officially" the main benefit of electronic shifting?

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2019 - 03:17 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

There's some misinformation and a few misconceptions about electronic shifting out there.

Electronic shifting isn't automatic shifting. It does not decide when to shift nor does it shift for you. You still have to press the button to tell it when to shift.

Sncro shifting is a mode where the system determines what combination of front ring and rear sprocket will give you the next higher or lower gear. You don't have to think about whether to shift the front, rear or both - the system figures that out. Again, when to shift is still entirely up to the rider. You still have to press the button. Nothing changes with Manual Mode - you still have to decide when to shift the front and rear to get to the gear you want.

Electronic really has nothing to do with drivetrain wear. Chains, cassettes, rings and pulley's still wear out. What electronic doesn't require is readjustment. Once initial setup is done it shifts perfectly every time and never needs to be adjusted. B, high, low and indexing never change. Adjustment is set and forget. The shifters don't need maintenance either as they are nothing but electrical switches. They don't gum up or get stuck like mechanical shifters can.

The ability to dump the cassette is another benefit. One button press and it moves 11 gears, or 22 gears if you are in syncro mode. Mechanical systems move three sprockets per press. This isn't a big deal if you are riding at a moderate pace on the Silver Comet but in fast group rides or anything offroad it is glorious. Hit the bottom of a hill and you can go from 50/11 to your 34/32 with one button press.

Where electronic really shines is in foul weather - muddy CX or gravel or anything cold/wet. The system is sealed. Not really a big deal here in the south but I've had shifter cables freeze when I lived up north.

If you are in the market for an Ultegra groupset then $600 extra gets you electronic. Electronic can be dirt cheap complete bikes especially if shopping for year end closouts. I have a friend who bought a Di2 Cervelo C3 for $250 more than the mechanical version. They were both side by side on the showroom floor. It was a no brainer.

Charging? Winter and summer solstice or when you change the batteries in your smoke detector.

SRAM wireless is the way to go for a travel bike with couplers or breakaway frame. I've only seen Campy Record EPS on one bike, an Argon 18 owned by Jose here in Acworth.

Mechanical systems are in the minority on the fast group rides out on the road. Most are running some form of electronic. It is stellar.

-Tim-

vrk75
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2019 - 03:34 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I think the main benefit of Cadence, Power etc is simple - "what gets measured gets improved".

I have improved my cadence dramatically used to be in 70s - now my average is 90+ in some rides.

GPS these days is mainly for strava Smile

Though it is very helpful in new century rides. I preload everything in my GPS unit and the turn by turn directions is very valuable. I remember getting lot in UTC once and ended up riding 110 miles instead of 100.

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2019 - 03:30 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

vrk75 wrote:
GPS these days is mainly for strava Smile

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/300x649/lawn_f7bbe68aced8d2a2c12abb4720f9eced82a3537e.png

Jump to: