Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Sunday, April 21, 2019 08:11 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
therider
Post subject: Gravel bike emergency tire repairs  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2019 - 07:05 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Hi, I just bought my first gravel bike the other day and am anxious to get out there and ride. My gravel friends recommended going with tubeless tires for flat prevention. My questions is - what do you carry for emergency tire repair for tubeless tires in the event you actually do have a flat? I'm not one to take chances, I like to be prepared (others say "I'll just call my wife to come get me" but that won't always work for me).

Some have said just carry a spare tube and put it in if you have a flat. Also I've seen tubeless tire "plugs" similar to what you can use with auto tires. I'd like to know what others recommend and what your experiences are with tubeless flats. Also how many 12 or 16 gr Co2s does it take to inflate a 700x42 tire up to 30-35 psi?? Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
TimH
Post subject: RE: Gravel bike emergency tire repairs  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2019 - 10:58 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Exellent! What kind of bike?

What to carry really depends on where you are riding.

If you are on local roads and trails then a spare tube and Co2 might be enough. Out in the hills where there is no cell reception tends toward self sufficiency and I carry everything - tube, boot, plugs, 2x 20 gram Co2 cartridges, inflator and a pump for high volume tires. I should probably carry a 2oz bottle of sealant and would add a second tube and boot if bikepacking.

The best scenario is a puncture where the sealant does its job and you don't even know anything happened until you pull the tire off months later and find wire or glass inside. The second best scenario is a puncture + loss of air but the sealant works and you have to top it off with Co2 or a pump. Either way, you want the best sealant you can get which I think is Orange Seal or Orange Seal Endurance.

A larger hole in the tread might require plugs + air.

A very large cut might require a tube + boot. All the sealant can make a mess. A pair of nitrile gloves in the saddle bag comes in handy.

Anything worse probably means walking.

The one time I had a flat was on the 2017 Southern Cross gravel race. Four inch chunk gravel which the forest service uses to fill holes in the road cut a sidewall on the rear tire. I heard the pffffffft and stopped, saw a little bit of sealant sputtering out of the sidewall, laid the bike on its side and spun the tire to distribute the sealant onto the inside of the sidewall. The leak stopped almost immediately. It was hit with Co2 and off I went. This was a race so I was in a hurry. Orange Seal Endurance is really good stuff.

-Tim-

therider
Post subject: RE: Gravel bike emergency tire repairs  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2019 - 06:14 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

I bought a Trek CheckPoint SL5. Thanks for the info, sounds like a tube and boot would be the minimum along with CO2 or mini-pump. I'll probably throw in a plug kit since they aren't that expensive and don't take up much room.

Jump to: