Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, April 22, 2019 12:07 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
forrest
Post subject: Up the Creek Without a Pedal 2019 - Saturday, April 27  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2019 - 01:42 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Up the Creek will be happening again this year on Saturday, April 27.

I talked to Chris McCormick a few days ago, and she has gotten into dog rescues, but TRED is continuing to put on the event. Julie's bike shop has closed its doors, but the ride will continue. They are looking for volunteers.

https://www.itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=6484

This and Chattooga are my favorite supported centuries of the year. Let's have a good showing this year!

Reply with quote Back to top
vrk75
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2019 - 08:33 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

On an off topic, is interest in organized rides such as UTC, Six Gap etc dying down? There was a rumor circulating that 6 gap will end in 2020.

Sadlebred
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2019 - 04:21 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Six Gap The rumor has been going around Facebook on Wednesday that the Six Gap Ride is dead. Nope. From a Facebook Post: “Rumors are swirling from this weeks article about the Chamber & Visitor’s Bureau in the Dahlonega Nugget. Direct comment from the Six Gap Ride Director, Rebecca Jackson: Six Gap is NOT, I repeat NOT ending for this year or even in 2020. We are re-evaluating how the Chamber as a whole is run and Six Gap is a massive part of our funding and it makes a huge economic impact on our community. There is a lot more to the story and a lot more to be determined. As a responsible organization we have to take a look all angles of our business and how it is being run. We will have some challenges with trying to run 6 Gap with just 3 staff members but that is something we will have to look at in the coming years. Again, this does not effect this year’s event. We are still fully staffed through 2019 and plan on hosting a top notch event this year as always.”

biker1881
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2019 - 02:07 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

vrk75 wrote:
On an off topic, is interest in organized rides such as UTC, Six Gap etc dying down? There was a rumor circulating that 6 gap will end in 2020.

I am noticing the same thing. This is the lightest my travel schedule has ever been. Speaking from a Middle GA perspective, a lot of the smaller rides have died off, leaving mostly the big rides in Atlanta (BRAG, MACC, Serrano, BBC, 400, SBL, etc.).

The other thing is conflicts. There are some weekends there are 3+ rides going on but the other weekends surrounding it are completely empty.

I love the big rides but having to get to the parking lot 1.5-2 hours early just to get parking has become a massive pain. So I am starting to stay local half the time now. Some rides are pushing it on costs and I have simply stopped going. I am ok with $50 but anything above that is too much. Plus I have to wake up at 4-5 AM for most of the rides. So that is a factor too.

The other thing going on is organization. Tour De Pike in South Atlanta died due to lack of organization. Cartersville Century tried to spice things up but cancelled (probably due to a sharp decrease in rider registration due to the massive price increase) and have no plans to host the ride this year (and possibly beyond). UTC seems to be following the trend that no one will be around to organize the ride in future years...hope i'm wrong. Makes me wonder if this will be the last year for this ride as well. Even rumors of Chattooga cancelling were floating around the last few years. Makes you wonder if it will happen at some point. Talked to Chris (or Julie) and they said their registration totals were under 500.

If this is the final UTC, I will definitely be there. I was slightly on the fence but leaning toward going. BRAG STU is the same weekend but UTC is a special ride and I plan to go. Plus BRAG STU has two other days to choose from, and I am going Friday.

Lastly, price. Jackson County Brevet early registration was $53.00. Trackpad Century in Fort Benning was $65.00. Above $60.00 is a no go for me, and I am seeing a few inaugural rides charging this much off the bat. Think the rides are trying to provide so much (timing chips, medals, post ride meals, etc.) that they are pricing themselves AND the riders out.

Just my opinion after observing rides the last few years. I personally love traveling for various rides. But the crowds and price are starting to play a factor for the first time in the 14 years I have been riding. I would be sad if UTC was no more. They have kept the cost low and provided so much and the routes are quite possibly the best in the state.

Last edited by biker1881 on Feb 24, 2019 - 04:29 PM; edited 6 times in total

rlaz
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2019 - 03:53 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I just got the following email this morning from the folks that used to do 3 State 3 Mountain. I always thought they did the best job by far in staging an organized ride. Maybe this new one will make it.

We've got Good News and Bad News

First the bad news: We spent last summer and fall exploring multiple options for bringing the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge back. Sadly, there are simply too many logistical hurdles to make it work. We're disappointed, but the ride had a great run and leaves behind a legacy that spanned more than 3 decades!

Now for the the good news: We're starting a new cycling tradition! And while this new ride doesn't hit 3 states, it does offer 4 route options with as little or as much climbing and mileage as you'd like, including a 3-mile timed K.O.M. challenge with prizes! We've also eliminated all of the urban and industrial sections (no train tracks!), and added a farm-to-table post-ride lunch and outdoor expo at the finish line. Plus we're lining up a number of activities for non-cycling spouses and families. There's something for everyone!

Join us in Dunlap on October 5th for the first annual CYCLE SEQUATCHIE and see why Sequatchie Valley is Chattanooga's cycling playground! Only half an hour from town but a world away from the traffic. Check out CycleSequatchie.com for more info and to sign up!

© 2018 3 State 3 Mountain

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2019 - 04:13 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Nice posts there, Mr. Lay's!!!

I'm with you on the cost. I can go out there and ride the roads for free at my own pace. I would pay a few dollars more for a benefit ride. If you look at how well something Chattooga is supported for what they are trying to fund, I will go out of my way to bring extra riders in. Six Gap, no way. It's too trendy and too expensive for a for-profit ride.

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2019 - 01:52 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

It's like deja vu all over again. I feel like this conversation takes place every six months or so.

I'm signed up for UTC.

Tour de Liverance is April 13 out of Elijay for the gravel minded. 45/67/105 mile options with lots of climbing.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tour-de-liverance-tickets-53791983270

The Cycle Sequatchie ride looks nice. Thanks for posting it rlaz.

bjp
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2019 - 06:03 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

FYI Tony Serrano ride is one of the best around. It's still going strong and pre-reg price was $40.

Jump to: