Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, October 23, 2017 06:17 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrBigStuff
Post subject: Wish I could get to California to ride PCH in Big Sur  PostPosted: Oct 05, 2017 - 02:21 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Heavy rains and subsequent flooding structurally damaged Pfeiffer Canyon bridge and a couple of huge landslides closed sections of the PCH in Big Sur. From what I've read, landslides are a constant problem on sections of the PCH, but these are especially large.

I guess California DOT has opened a segment of the PCH to cyclists. I'm not familiar with the area or details, but there seems to be some significant hike-a-bike to get around the bridge, but the payoff is a spectacular, virtually car-free ride on the PCH. The riders in the video start in some park though. Chris probably knows where this is.

Looks like the bridge is scheduled to reopen later this month. According to a thread over on BikeForums, the road will "go around" the landslides meaning that won't be fixed for some time.

In any event, I sure would like to ride it in the car-free state!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0HiyfD6qsM

Reply with quote Back to top
webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2017 - 03:33 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Quote:
IS CLOSED FROM 4.6 MI NORTH OF RAGGED POINT TO 10.3 MI NORTH OF
RAGGED POINT /AT MUD CREEK/ (MONTEREY CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU
6/1/18 - DUE TO MUDSLIDE REMOVAL - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE
ROUTE - MOTORISTS CAN ACCESS SR 1 FROM 10.3 MI NORTH OF RAGGED POINT
/AT MUD CREEK/ TO PFEIFFER CANYON BRIDGE /IN BIG SUR/ BY USING
NACIMIENTO-FERGUSON RD

Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd, as a by-pass??? Really?
This is one of the California Triple-Crown routes. An absolute epic climb with the most epic view of PCH. I've posted pix from here before.
This road goes through Ft Hunter-Liggett with two Military Checkpoints. There is ONLY one road that crosses the coast range between San Simeon and Big Sur; this is it.

I can't imagine that they will allow anyone to pull a travel trailer over this road. I can smell the fried brakes just thinking about it. Perhaps they're just going to allow natural selection to take it's due course?

Video looks like they cut the climb out of Big Sur, which is a big one. I've hit a fog bank there before, which turns a sunny hot climb into a cold-damp descent, with a dreary gray-damp day of cycling... nothing like the video. You can see the fog bank in the video, lurking just off the coast; it's usually there. Further south on PCH, on a rare, clear day you can see the channel islands.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: