Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, October 23, 2017 06:17 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vrk75
Post subject: Road Cycling Clubs - Are they worth?  PostPosted: Sep 21, 2017 - 03:17 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Apart from Jerseys and free ride entries (which probably end up costing more) are there any advantages of a cycling club such as - NARC, Mission Source, MACC, etc.?

Reply with quote Back to top
webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 21, 2017 - 08:02 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Think it depends on how active they are in your local area and how many of your ride buddies participate.
The rides are often the same every year so you might need to consider if they are routes you'd like to do again.
Some of the clubs will have additional perks too for gear discounts and group buys which adds value.
We've seen some active tri groups riding out of Florence this year and you might want to see if any of those groups would be a good fit for your training.

Sadlebred
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2017 - 02:45 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

A lot of it is the social aspect--group rides with like minded riders, social (parties, get togethers off the bike, etc), finding new routes & people to ride with.

dru_
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2017 - 03:52 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

My experience is that the clubs are so widely varied in mission and make up that the question is impossible to answer.

The each have their quirks that reflect their mission and membership, particularly their leadership (or lack thereof). I generally find myself riding with a lot of different groups, and though I do have a club affiliation (as well as a shop affiliation), I would still advise anyone to ride with the groups a few times, get to know the people and then make a decision if there is value there for you. Some of the best clubs in the area that I've found are open clubs, with no dues or fees, but fully engaged leadership and membership.

Jump to: