Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Wednesday, November 22, 2017 04:13 AM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vrk75
Post subject: Started seeing some e-bikes in group rides now  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2017 - 07:42 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Saw an e-bike in a group ride on Saturday. The guy was climbing very fast and slow on 20 MPH flats. I used to think about e-bikes are automatic like mopeds but found out that they do need pedaling. Probably, their speed is capped. Also it will be terrible if they run out of battery. I believe I saw e-bikes on the Georgia 400 ride before - people who are on fat tire bikes but almost as fast as A-group riders are most likely e-bikers.

Whether or not it is wrong to have e-bikes in a group ride is a difficult question to answer. Personally, I think I will not have much fun on an e-bike but it probably does bring some more people to cycling who would not do it otherwise.

Reply with quote Back to top
webgeek
Post subject: Re: Started seeing some e-bikes in group rides now  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2017 - 08:41 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

vrk75 wrote:
Whether or not it is wrong to have e-bikes in a group ride is a difficult question to answer.

I'd expect that most ebike riders will lack group ride skills. Hence, eBikes=serious HAZARD.
And assumed to be a HAZARD.
Acquiring the speed, power and skills to ride with the big dogs is part of the "rite of passage".
Just having an ebike that can "hang" ain't enough... I've already made that decision re atlbike rides.

jrc55
Post subject: Re: Started seeing some e-bikes in group rides now  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2017 - 04:24 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

webgeek wrote:
vrk75 wrote:
Whether or not it is wrong to have e-bikes in a group ride is a difficult question to answer.

I'd expect that most ebike riders will lack group ride skills. Hence, eBikes=serious HAZARD.
And assumed to be a HAZARD.
Acquiring the speed, power and skills to ride with the big dogs is part of the "rite of passage".
Just having an ebike that can "hang" ain't enough... I've already made that decision re atlbike rides.

Thanks Chris!

Jump to: