Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Wednesday, November 22, 2017 04:10 AM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
webgeek
Post subject: Safe Finch Rd, more safe(r-ish) 'short-cut' How-To  PostPosted: Jul 14, 2017 - 06:38 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

With a small group, re-grouping at the road margin just after the bridge. Then, waiting for a clear no-traffic, no-trains window; making the jump to Finch Rd could be safely doable.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S7gvP6pP_6wwxovBTIaJMx6h_2oxOPat94coKHfDD3xpAiIkCCntjmcxEe3YJB2VX06TKHwdF0qKPVO8tV2YE8RUGUBIZjx4E0E5AJ7HlTmrLjBf9FPyUnWIeCpt7P34_SlfETY5_KTvGrf52k90tqH0mgPlR9wJGgpA_jn8HNumhI2NPfLBidYcq9ntaQx6KB3QDUDE1KUqSvhoby8iZKMhd6T82IWadkFZewuUy7UWbDGXIuRcDKD9yh4Dh6NfhVTxNPJn2i1p-kGi6peikOD6FcUqnRc9dKQq3d3L3w5BhIGXo3Yv0sEGC40tOSMW67Ip2sZAdOQc8lWHaVNOR3f0YoN0jkB2OuzpMFSCZ6a28zXZ-9iIulsZoC3RAkMCZHw2uyPY8Va22pSl-97MTOEcK8r5nDsQqZiEfWHrHYaZpnyrr1W1dt8L5HBpqSyxFHDzyd7WIdnUwZxmiEbxTx9FQ4uQdkqs6NTHudvFsiLrp7LJ99u1h8MLjiMZRKVrzaardSvHTR5VQljXN39aCJsENoqiTOxyareXcL64yAm7ogFjf28s23bw0ZNNzNIhE6Wq321ZCpxDUL3hjClpecWHqMIaw3Ex2m-bzaFsHbTYCrPIuzbPhF9OdD21JbhKrAoMsHKYC21xTOrLkjw0DqAnIB99j36K3eiWvAxYsbR62A=w1094-h969-no

We took this route on a Thursday, once, and it was a mess.
The group was spread out.
A train arrived at the same time.
Traffic from both directions.
Cars attempting to turn onto Finch from both directions.
Cars attempting to pull-around turn traffic from both directions.
I un-clipped at the RxR, got a piece of gravel lodged in the cleat, couldn't clip-in.
Fortunately, we all survived.
But, I've looked at how this could be done, because some people will want to short-cut.

Reply with quote Back to top
webgeek
Post subject: RE: Safe Finch Rd, more safe(r-ish)  PostPosted: Jul 14, 2017 - 06:55 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Google Maps says this is ~250ft.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/V_vJ8abu5SDnTzrZwM7nevNtHpD_nJ06ONoRVzeq_T9OExulCzjbDXE4GZo8cZVZG_nxG5QllKm3gsXxLoScgMaQE0FnMWtotDEhXPj60FkSYeWPA4E7S1gWV5rFsM3hfAwZjWucxneTvW7IPYBnV4ywwqIdagQzdTTXmTsTXmd63Aet_4lIJVxMhVnSeNJUhOpoUN4llkAWj3ISPAFUBMf244P5LGJEJ5cLt7pzs3W1tlKCLrmQ-e1xgTD3DtTlmA0AepQD3OujsU4i6nB9ZUU_ggG-KvVCKup1_4vVMmgc-eVLTYYLCpOkZckHtwIlUl2ajom9RlaqrWmLCA-TQfQwrx4zudcy7eyJqaMrvq2o4oFLztz_-g4wtBaou-Ik3ev8g-gAssXKMzqGKx-9MFzNvVN9eO76M9H7ayJYEh8ZjTNXbzCd2m1mKJN7VHzY6exG98TzzJi8ox4SYBX4gCqYcNqz5EvOnyamLX_W2PUwDJ0PcWH_DHNH8kIcJaB06c1Vg0CcPcCh-g2-B4RewHnO_7Y67rsk6fuwgW1Q-3kTizwYCwnKCnzSuwuPAAJkYWml-3ydXTvM65Yth_vzTTzZ27PYjK584pFjso9AmccHtjm-r-eNzu9d6zz3LDfeap4R2YdrYLD7SIj3P1pDlFa-kPDGQO9SRSZYn2Z-2JuTHg=w1989-h1333-no

jrc55
Post subject: RE: Safe Finch Rd, more safe(r-ish)  PostPosted: Jul 14, 2017 - 07:30 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Looks good to me but I can't see much these days anyways.

webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2017 - 08:41 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Other than old, blind Joe.
Perhaps Joe with his new eyes, may want to comment on this approach...
after we took it Saturday.
We didn't have any traffic or trains on Saturday, so we didn't need to stop, but I tried to point out the re-group and wait spot.
This leaves a very short hop to access Finch Rd.
Any thoughts from those that were in the group on Saturday?

jrc55
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2017 - 08:50 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Hey I resemble that remark.
I thought the reroute worked great, looking to try it again.

motoBcane
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2017 - 06:01 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I took that short cut Saturday and met up with Rob and 2 new guys right at that junction actually, no trains, and usually light traffic on Saturdays anyways. One of the guys "Filipe" looks like he wont have any problems keeping up and staying on the front w Duracell, Mike and co....

I say if we stick at going west on the trail on Thursday, and finish the usual, shouldn't be an issue......Suggestion to make the Thurs ride a little longer and more satisfying, is once we are hauling it at Bill Carruth, just turn right on Laird heading south, cross Ridge rd, hook back up to Williams lake road and finish up like at the start of Sky...It just feels like a better workout to me, avoids going to downtown Hiram or riding the whole busy bypass....

webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2017 - 04:58 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

motoBcane wrote:
I took that short cut Saturday and met up with Rob and 2 new guys right at that junction actually, no trains, and usually light traffic on Saturdays anyways. One of the guys "Filipe" looks like he wont have any problems keeping up and staying on the front w Duracell, Mike and co....

I say if we stick at going west on the trail on Thursday, and finish the usual, shouldn't be an issue......Suggestion to make the Thurs ride a little longer and more satisfying, is once we are hauling it at Bill Carruth, just turn right on Laird heading south, cross Ridge rd, hook back up to Williams lake road and finish up like at the start of Sky...It just feels like a better workout to me, avoids going to downtown Hiram or riding the whole busy bypass....

MotoB,
Hopefully we add on a few new riders this season, one of the reasons for the move to a Florence start was to gain more visibility for the group.
Funny, I had a guy at Home Depot ask if we were still riding, he had seen us at Florence.

I like Laird, it's a tough section heading South.
We tried Laird a couple of Thursdays, a few years ago iirc. But we had some serious problems with idiot drivers. We had one guy pass us in the opposite lane on the completely blind big hump. I've avoided it since then.
Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid, just avoid it. It's the reason I quit riding Unicoi up in the gaps; the idiot drivers wait and pass at the blind corners. Some people just aren't wired right. I can't explain it, they just can't extrapolate how stupid they are.

Another option is Waters, but you lose Rich Davis (the bull road) which is a really nice road and lower traffic too.

Compare to Austin Bridge, the drivers know it's a tight, nasty, blind hump and we seldom have driver problems there. If it was a rush hour road, it might be different, maybe?? If Austin Bridge had clear a view (no turn) I'd bet we'd probably have the same problem there too, but they are looking at trees, makes all the difference.

Jump to: