Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Wednesday, November 22, 2017 04:11 AM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
webgeek
Post subject: Shhh, if asked... Don't VOID your bike warranty.  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2017 - 04:13 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I mentioned trainer use and bike warranty issues in my hanger post.
Did you know ??
Many (most?) bicycle manufacture's warranty stipulate that trainer use will void the warranty.
This is understandable as the bike frame is constrained and might be subjected to loads that would not occur during normal use.

However, your bike shop might be more than willing to sell you a trainer to go with that bike you just purchased.
Did they advise you that your bicycle warranty would or could be voided if used on a trainer??

Looking at the Kickr Quick Setup Guide Cautions:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/naNpKfAepNxh-DwQl9O_6fcqq-Fikg2vDo1GHgmA0zwClAT-1zbJsJKQ-9-8wpAHFOJoKkVK7mvJPaal6Siem09FRkogkmi3Eh6Ia0EHlj6fCe5X59xb7lfg_ARQvwi0Kk8bjJG24wtBh7FYnUGUEU7Z_yeLhxC-ksr71evTd0yTKJiJ78DUkQnqR-Ivw0G4qHkpctaZNiW2vhkrGdF6LJfRNdXw1URK0bbgsawLzNQjcY5NM2mX6mykJVeAobAyfHhYEjuFcdDRT3MGcYrMU2xfFN2ELSrJJK2eIezjW03HM2-xKN0OroQ99VmVcLOoPeZxfzw162mNus6wxVCHp96NErHOWRHYiQx4vL5vZC_QdDbIhkraeFi_DnXOqAd3aP7NtKdDAnm2urlDUgD169LD63qRRj7Br8lFYIb-RLjbh0Gj3Euncp-VE9RG4wxwWtqpqnN6nDJYx_2IoRKGzW6PJDBzVSxLyh6ldLs7gtmfVu1w8CUz5jhR2vsXZDDC-QxjMUrynmRC2ZW9pX4pv5sbPJpnfKNojaNa4U4HBFqZ3GxPvYPdQgK929voD-MFP2Ga0MlPGUteL2AgdsXfN-oBVwHcDK_UXrRY1BPcjlvPI0FHq2pgPnVPne6isQZS3haw1rBwQ7toWFLdtGKr_lrTLttBuEhyNUW1EYPxKQ=w1563-h1173-no

No mention of possibly voiding my bike warranty, but I should see my doctor.
Maybe they need a better attorney that understands industry issues to write this?

I'm sure this finger pointing within the industry will end up being a real quagmire, with your LBS stuck in the middle. They are there to survive and pay their bills and they likely will be happy to sell you a bike and a trainer.

Some suggestions:
1) Don't ask about trainer use when you buy your bike.
2) Don't take trainer issues back to your bike shop.
3) Don't buy a trainer to go with your new bike.
4) Don't post inappropriate images of your bike being 'paired' with a trainer.
5) Remember, if asked, Was the bike on a trainer?.... say NO.
Consider:
1) Repurpose an old bike or frame as your trainer bike.
2) Use a different skewer on the trainer or swap the entire wheel for one with a trainer tire.
3) Buy bike trainer insurance (LOL, just made that up).

Reply with quote Back to top
mikebritton
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2017 - 04:51 AM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

My Fluid 2 came with a heavy-duty skewer that pokes out about a quarter inch on each side. I think this skewer is essential in saving my hubs.

It's probably bad to leave the bike in the trainer, so I take it out. There's a slight compression of the chainstays when the trainer is locked.

Bottom line: my frame doesn't really fit perfectly. There's a margin of error. Perhaps an acceptable one?

I think using an old bike or a "winter bike" is the best solution. A bike frame flexes differently in a trainer—especially older trainers like the Fluid 2. If carbon is going to fail eventually, why hasten the process and put yourself at risk?

dru_
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2017 - 04:17 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Use rollers instead Smile. They'll make you a better rider and don't create the strains of a trainer.

Jump to: