Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Wednesday, November 22, 2017 04:08 AM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
webgeek
Post subject: OT I had to dump Chrome, how to test  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2017 - 05:16 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Whether it's Chrome or it's interaction with recent Windurz updates, the audio sync, feed lags and bloat has made it unusable.
I tested both MS Edge and Mozilla Firefox and both seemed to work properly for the sync tests that I ran.
Also, I have had serious concerns about the extent of stalking within Chrome (Windurz too).

Searching for sync tests, yahoo was near worthless, google had useful links, but the Bing search preview window was nice.
Problem with Bing, it was embedding the links, not connecting to the actual site. I didn't like that at all (stalking?).
So, it looks like I'll be going back to Firefox after being on Chrome for many years.
For Firefox, either on the page or embedded (like this site), Firefox synced perfectly and no loading or feed lags on my home network.

If you are seeing lags in video loading or loading delays during play I'd suggest you might need to run some similar tests for the browser you are using.

Here's a couple of test links I used for sync testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_PbyRpKrRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZl6vQ_8Uo
same test on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/189984538

You might have noticed that the circles weren't round in the second test.
So, they flunked the video encoding test.

Last edited by webgeek on Jul 10, 2017 - 12:14 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
forrest
Post subject: RE: OT I had to dump Chrome, how to test  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2017 - 06:00 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

So Drudge started blocking you as well this morning?

"Something interfered with this website loading"

Then they tell us to turn off our adblockers. I'd tell Matt Drudge to his face to turn off all the stupid *.co.uk British tabloid clickbait stories.

Chrome is indeed a bad browser. There is no case-sensitive search because that's too much for their user base to comprehend. Third-party plugins are disabled by default, and even when you enable them, they are disabled until you click on their patronizing message every time that you launch a new process. The title bar and menu bars are gone, so you have no idea what the title of the website you are on is. The address bar is just a data skimmer for Google. Dare I go on? Similar reasons to why I left Firesux years ago. Oh, yes, and when an HTTPS certificate has lapsed, Chrome FORBIDS you to go anywhere near the site. No exceptions. If atlbike.org were running on HTTPS and didn't have that cert, there would be no way to visit.

And to go back on-topic, this is what drove me from Garmin Connect. It used to be a sensible, fast, clean interface, and then some yuppies got in there and obfuscated it so that you have to look for 30 seconds to find what you are trying to find. I heard that Strava is pretty good. Apparently, you can attempt a KOM on anything with a 0.1% grade, so they have a huge user base now!!!

TimH
Post subject: Re: RE: OT I had to dump Chrome, how to test  PostPosted: Jul 09, 2017 - 08:39 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Chris, not sure if this is relevant but I have customers running virtual desktops (Citrix, XEN, etc) who are heavily invested in Google Apps which uses Chrome as its foundation.

The idea makes sense on paper but from a practical perspective Chrome generates many tiny files and keeps querying for ACLs and other file metadata. In The result is an absurd amount of non read/write "Other" IO against the storage array hosting the virtual desktops. In enterprise environments with thousands of clients, this can swamp an otherwise appropriately sized storage device.

Google "Chrome high disk io" and see the complaints. It can bring a laptop to its knees.

-Tim-

therider
Post subject: Re: RE: OT I had to dump Chrome, how to test  PostPosted: Jul 10, 2017 - 01:05 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

forrest wrote:
So Drudge started blocking you as well this morning?

"Something interfered with this website loading"

Then they tell us to turn off our adblockers. I'd tell Matt Drudge to his face to turn off all the stupid *.co.uk British tabloid clickbait stories.

Chrome is indeed a bad browser. There is no case-sensitive search because that's too much for their user base to comprehend. Third-party plugins are disabled by default, and even when you enable them, they are disabled until you click on their patronizing message every time that you launch a new process. The title bar and menu bars are gone, so you have no idea what the title of the website you are on is. The address bar is just a data skimmer for Google. Dare I go on? Similar reasons to why I left Firesux years ago. Oh, yes, and when an HTTPS certificate has lapsed, Chrome FORBIDS you to go anywhere near the site. No exceptions. If atlbike.org were running on HTTPS and didn't have that cert, there would be no way to visit.

And to go back on-topic, this is what drove me from Garmin Connect. It used to be a sensible, fast, clean interface, and then some yuppies got in there and obfuscated it so that you have to look for 30 seconds to find what you are trying to find. I heard that Strava is pretty good. Apparently, you can attempt a KOM on anything with a 0.1% grade, so they have a huge user base now!!!

Forrest what browser are you using now if you don't like Chrome or Firesux? MS Edge??

Jump to: