Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Friday, September 21, 2018 07:14 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
webgeek
Post subject: Thanks for Saving My Life along the Silver Comet Trail  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2016 - 04:14 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I received this email from Scott on May 5th.
I asked his permission to share his story.
He asked that Deputy Sheriff James Ward be recognized for his life saving effort. Certainly the first responders, that sustained him, should also be recognized.
His story, as sent to the Paulding Sheriff Department
Quote:
My name is Lawrence “Scott” Holben. I moved to Marietta, GA during June 1991 and remember voting for having the Silver Comet built in Cobb County that I reside within. I’ve cycled ~10K miles on the trail since 2004 across the numerous counties it spans, and know most every twist an turn along the trail.

My favorite spot for cycling is to start at the Florence Trail Head and work my way West through Paulding Counting. I’ve cycled the entire trail to where the Chief Ladiga ends at Anniston, AL and have cycled a number of centuries from Florence to the Georgia State line an back by myself.

During Saturday April 16th, 2016 after allergy season abated, I had a life changing event were I am now deeply indebted to your Department for being the cardiac exemplar for saving my life.

I was doubling back from the rail road tunnel (halfway point) for what should have been a solo 38 mile round trip ride. Somewhere East of Rambo Park was my last memory before I blacked out and crashed. (From what others told me, I crashed by Tara Drummond Park.) My breathing and heart totally stopped, and I had no signs of an impending heart attack. Almost immediately, good Samaritan bike riders (a nurse, doctor of radiology, and airline stewardess) applied CPR for 18 minutes to my body to keep O2 flowing to my heart and brain. The CPR was not adequate to restart my organs.

Without the AED defibrillator provided by Deputy Sheriff James Ward from Paulding County, I would be a dead man. Deputy Sheriff James Ward is a very dedicated and caring man that greatly assisted my wife concerning matters with my cardiac arrest. He also assisted me with communicating back to others responsible for saving my life. During Tuesday April 19th, I had a quadruple bypass at Kennestone Hospital. My prognosis is very good. I have no paralysis, memory loss, and I’m healing reasonably well.

The doctors at Kennestone indicated that the odds of me surviving would have been less than 1 in 100 without the timely application of an AED defibrillator. When I talked to the the 1st person that performed CPR on me she indicated that I was indeed a statistical outlier that had a guardian angel. The Dr. of Radiology that performed CPR made a similar comment on the telephone. The AED defibrillator made the difference! I plan to be riding again in another 3 to 4 months, with buddy of course...

Myself and my immediate family thought it would be appropriate to donate an AED defibrillator to provide greater continuity along the Silver Comet to complement the service Paulding County already provides. Do you have a contact for your peer in Cobb County that I may contact I to donate an AED defibrillator that can provide assurances for its proper operational deployment? I plan on donating the same make and model used by Paulding County along the Silver Comet.

Again, I want to thank your department for patrolling the Silver Comet along Paulding Counting. I’ve passed the small cars and prior motorized carts patrolling over the years an have waived numerous times times. I’ve seen the assistance the Paulding Patrol has provided to cyclist over the years.

Reply with quote Back to top
mattmatt2749
Post subject: RE: Thanks for Saving My Life along the Silver Comet Trail  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2016 - 12:11 AM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

Amazing. Thank God.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: