Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Tuesday, July 17, 2018 07:12 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cycling50
Post subject: CVCA Fall Colors Ride: Postponed to November 14th  PostPosted: Oct 20, 2015 - 06:43 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Official post for Fall Colors Ride:

Date/Time: November 14 @ 9:30 a.m.

Place: James H. (Sloppy) Floyd State Park, Summerville, GA

Come enjoy the fall colors of NW GA on scenic, low traffic roads! Routes of around 50 and 65 miles. Two store stops, (including homemade goodies) limited sag support, and marked routes. Ride is free, but parking fee of $5, unless you have a state park pass. NEW: Post-ride lunch FREE to participants! Board is planning something like chili/sandwiches. Don't know details yet.

Start will be at first park entrance off of Hwy 27 with parking at the top of the hill. Lunch will be at #2 shelter at the start location. See map at www.gastateparks.org. Please rsvp if you think you will eat the post-ride lunch: cmccormick5119@gmail.com

For those of you unfamiliar with this ride, the 65 mile option follows most of the Chattooga Century metric route except for the beginning and ending of the ride. The 50 mile option stays with the 65 milers until about mile 28 and then takes a shorter route which comes back in with the 65 mile route around mile 36.

Thanks,
Chris Mc

Last edited by cycling50 on Nov 05, 2015 - 03:23 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 27, 2015 - 08:31 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Routes are now on www.ridewithgps.com listed as CVCA Fall Colors 2015

MrBigStuff
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2015 - 02:28 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Chris Mc blowin' up the "there's no free lunch" admonition!

Once again, thanks for a great treat on MrBigStuff's birthday weekend Laughing

PS: Red Velvet cupcakes again, please!

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2015 - 03:46 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Well, weather is not looking good for this Saturday. I will post here, hopefully by Friday, if we are going to cancel. We can postpone to 11/14, but then the color won't be as good and even more leaves will have fallen off. Dang, this is the first year we've really had a major weather issue.

Cross your fingers for a decent Saturday forecast.

MrBigStuff, I'll have your cupcake if the ride is a go!

Chris Mc

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2015 - 03:25 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Rain chance was just too great for Saturday, so changed to 11/14. Long range forecast is showing bright sun with high of 60 for next Saturday. Please pass the word to anyone else who might not be on this site.

Thanks!
Chris

motoBcane
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2015 - 08:19 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Bbrrrrr, looks like it will be a cold Saturday morning, but at least the elusive sun will be out......I will try make it, thanks......

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2015 - 09:53 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Start temps around 43 degrees(probably colder in shade at park) and high of mid 50's, but yes....bright sunshine. Once you get out of the park and in the sun, you should warm up quickly.

Remember parking pass $5. If you get there before me, get pass from kiosk at entrance. PLEASE try to bring correct change and no $100 bills.
Non-members will need to sign waiver.
Helmets required!
Two sag stops. First major one at Lucky's grocery store at around 28 miles. Restrooms in rear right corner.
You may bag extra clothes at this stop and pick up after ride at shelter. When you leave the rest stop make sure you are headed in the right direction! Ask if you have doubts!
The second sag stop is a smaller one at the convenience store. I will have the leftovers from first stop!
Owner requests that, if you use their bathroom, that you make a purchase. I promised to pass this along, but will also compensate him for the use of bathroom, if needed. This stop is about 10 miles from the end of ride.

One section after the second rest stop has been repaved and the Chattooga stencil markers covered over. I placed yellow chevrons at this location, so follow them.

You may want to enter some of these numbers in your phone in case of problems.
My(Chris) number: 706-766-1064. I will be at the two rest stops.
Terry(long route): 706-512-7404
Dan(short route): 706-728-1656

I will be unable to answer any questions tomorrow until after 10 p.m. when I get off work.

Hope to see several of you Saturday! Dress warm to start!

Chris Mc

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 03, 2015 - 05:16 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Late with my update of Fall Colors Ride!

Turned out to be a beautiful day, but with a bit of a cold start and some pesky wind! Many riders shed clothes by the first rest stop. Almost 60 riders attended this year. We had several first time riders who said they would be sure to return.

Rest stop goodies included: chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal/cranberry/pecan cookies, pb granola balls, pumpkin bars/cream cheese frosting, red velvet mini cakes(MrBigStuff got his own regular size B-day cupcake), pecan chews(Patti F.), pigs-in-blankets, bacon/egg/rice cakes and fritattas (Meg Dodd), bananas, and the regular packaged goods.

Post-ride lunch included: pizza, chili, chicken/rice soup, pasta salad, chips, and leftover sweets.

A lot of the leaves had already fallen off, but there was still plenty of color to add to the beauty of the day.

MrBigStuff did a great video for us, but I'll let him share it, if he wants to.

Thanks to anyone who attended! Looking forward to next year!

Chris Mc

Jump to: