Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Tuesday, July 17, 2018 06:35 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cycling50
Post subject: CVCA Lunar Bike Ride Friday, July 20th  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 - 11:48 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Our "Dog Days Lunar Bike Ride XVIII" will be on Friday, July 20th from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. The ride takes place at Mt Berry Mall--same place as the old start of our Up the Creek ride. One lap around the mall is one mile. You can ride as many laps as you want and stop at anytime for pizza, watermelon, ice dream (donated by Chick-fil-A), snacks, and drinks. A DJ will play a variety of music.

This is a great family event despite the late hour. The kids love the freedom of being able to ride without traffic. Some of the parents just come and sit in lawn chairs, listen to the music, visit, and eat while the kids wear themselves out. Of course, many of the parents ride also and there is usually a couple of pace lines going in the outer lane. The riders are separated in different lanes according to age and speed.

The lights will be on and the restrooms will be open. Mall security and police will be present to direct traffic on and off the course.

We are still having some trouble getting our web site(www.cvca.org) up to date, so the last Lunar flyer is for 2010!! Hopefully, we can get him to update soon. If not, you can use the same form(prices/info are the same) but the date is changed to JULY 20th!! You can e-mail me: cycling50@aol.com and I can e-mail you the flyer also. Registration will be available that night, but we ordered a limited amount of T-shirts (youth and adult). T-shirts are not included in the low registration fee. Prices are low to allow almost anyone to be able to afford to participate.

Our web site does have a video of a past ride, so you can see what it is all about.

Free admission is offered to our Open Door Home children. If you are not riding, you may just come and watch your spouse/children or you can buy a $5 armband for food and drink. Bring your chairs and watch the fun.

Hope to see some of you there. We usually have around 250 people.

Chris Mc

Reply with quote Back to top
webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 - 02:05 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

This is a great event for the kids.

vagabond
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 - 03:25 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

webgeek wrote:
This is a great event for the kids.

+1.

My kids loved it last year (what kid wouldn't like staying up until 1AM?).
Meeting Wolverine was a bonus.

I just sent in paperwork for this year's ride. Very much looking forward to it.

Mitch

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 - 06:43 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Yes, I must say the kids enjoy it the most. The parents with kids enjoy it almost as much, as they can watch their kids having so much fun. I've never seen a "whiny" kid at this event. Casual riders and racers can all enjoy the night. There are some pretty fast pace lines going around the mall. I caution all fast riders though to be extra vigilant of the little ones who can stray from their specified lane.

Lunar ride is just a nice relaxed ride to socialize, eat, drink, listen and/or dance to music, and people watch.

I know at least one child with his new adaptive hand cycle will be there to enjoy the night. He still has a trach and the hot temperatures in the daytime make it almost impossible to ride his new machine. CVCA helped to purchase his bike and he and his family have free registration. Participants in UTC helped to make this purchase possible.

Pal's Coffe & Company will be there again this year to supply coffee to keep the "old" folks awake, while the little ones run on sugar and excitement.

Happy to hear some of our past guests are returning this year!

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2012 - 03:45 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Forecast is calling for those usual pesky showers. If you are coming from out of town you can call me for weather update. Most of the time the showers are hit and miss. It can be raining in one part of town and dry as a bone in another area. I live by the mall so can tell you what weather is doing. We're really only had rain one year. A storm came through and we all took shelter in the Food Court of the mall and ate pizza until it passed in about 30 min. It was nice and cool when we resumed riding.

Chris
706-766-1064

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 04:18 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Thunder, lightening and rain early this morning, but now dry and skies clearing. Very Happy

Please no rain tonight!!

vrk75
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 04:24 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Chris,

If it is canceled due to weather, will you post it here? I have a 45 min drive to reach Rome.

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 05:06 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

VRK75,

I will be away from the computer after 8 p.m. I can post weather up to that point. Call me before heading out if you want. If it stops raining by 10 p.m. we will still go. I won't call it early unless it looks really bad.

Chris

Jump to: