Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, August 03, 2020 01:29 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wnl256
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 26, 2011 - 04:36 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

dboatrig wrote:

Just wondering if we might have a wide range of speeds so that those of us who aren't at a 20+ mph average might actually have cyclists that we can ride with.... Smile

I'm not a fast rider nor a good climber. I plan on doing a 15-16 pace and I hope that I have some like-minded company.

I will either be wearing a RAGBRAI or a 50+ jersey (unless it is so cold at the start that I have to don my winter jersey).

Reply with quote Back to top
cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 26, 2011 - 05:08 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Webgeek, thanks for the kind words. You are so sweet! Wish you would come join us, but I know it is difficult to tear yourself away from your own ride close to home. Maybe you'll surprise me??

Dr.Skip, the 52 mile is my own variation. There are only about 8 miles that don't follow the other route. You split with the 67 at about mile 28 and rejoin them at their mile 51 (your mile36.2). I don't know if I'll have time to do the route on mapmyride, but you'll have cue sheet and it is marked, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

dboatrig, introduce yourself to me that morning (I"ll be handing out the maps/parking passes at the entrance) and I'll get you with a group about your level.

Chris

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 27, 2011 - 09:41 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

SAG stop food:

peanut butter/chocolate kiss cookies
oatmeal cranberry cookies
pumpkin bars

Then the obligatory more nutritious foods:

Granola bars
PBJ sandwiches
Fig Newtons
Bananas

Powder Gatorade and Heed mix

Water

Weather looks like sunny, chilly to start, and breezy (sounds better than windy).

Chris

Ophelia
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2011 - 11:34 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Hey Chris,

Is this route correct? I changed the color to green so it would be easier to read the road names on the map. It this is right, people can upload to GPS or print a cue sheet for FREE. MapMyRide charges to print a cue sheet.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/796632

TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2011 - 07:26 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

The route you have will work, but on past rides seems like I remember turning right onto Neal Gap Rd off of Cooper Rd instead of left.

Ophelia
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2011 - 09:24 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

TomA wrote:
The route you have will work, but on past rides seems like I remember turning right onto Neal Gap Rd off of Cooper Rd instead of left.

Hey Tom,
You are correct and the cue sheet for the Chattooga Metric says "right" also BUT if you look closely at the map on RidewithGPS - it looks like LEFT is the only way to turn. Thank goodness Chris marked the route for us! Razz

Hey - do you remember where the gas station is that we've stopped at in the past? the 28 miles rest stop might be a tad too early.

TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2011 - 11:22 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Cooper is a semi circle that turns off of 337 twice. If you take the first turn onto Cooper it circles around and you trn left onto Neal Gap. If you go up 337 a little further and turn left onto Cooper you end up turning right onto Neal Gap. Either way you get there.

I don't remember where the gas station is but I do remember a gas station somewhere along the way somewhere after the scheduled store stop

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2011 - 02:59 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Judy, there are only 2 stops. First one is around 28 miles for both routes. Second stop is close to the end at mile 39(for short route) and 55 for the long route. I don't think there is a stop between, so you'd better stop and fuel up at the first stop.

First stop at Lucky's store has a male and female restroom in the back right hand corner. 2nd stop has one unisex restroom.

Jump to: