Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Saturday, September 22, 2018 06:27 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cycling50
Post subject: CVCA Fall Colors Ride- October 29th  PostPosted: Oct 20, 2011 - 10:06 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Fall Colors Ride from Sloppy Floyd Park (south of Summerville) on Saturday, Oct. 29th @ 9:30 a.m. Parking will be at the first park entrance on the left. I will be there to collect your $5 parking fee. Please try to have exact change. There is parking up the hill where rest rooms are located or closer to the road.

Routes of 52 and 67 miles (option of shortening each by 4 miles). Cue sheets will be provided. Both routes will follow the yellow Chattooga Metric markers to start. There will be a Lucky's store stop at mile 28. The routes will separate at this point. Riders will deviate to the right to go to the store before resuming their respective routes. The 52 mile route can exit out the back of store to resume their route. If you know the 100 mile route, you can follow the white markers after the store, to do the climb, and then turn around and return to the metric route. Micah likes this option!

The short option will begin to follow the Yellow Chevron markers (S.O for short option) at store, until they come back to the metric markers at 36 miles. After the Chattooga H.S. follow Yellow Chevron markers (L.O.) back to park OR for 48 miles, continue to follow metric markers through town to Hwy 27 and back to park.

The 67 mile option will follow Chattooga metric markers until passing the Chattooga H.S. where they will follow the Yellow Chevron markers (L.O.) back to park. For 63 miles continue to follow metric markers through town to Hwy 27 and back to park.

The L.O. option is more scenic and keeps you off of Hwy 27 for a longer time. Both options come back together to return to park.

Both routes will have the same 2 store stops. CVCA will provide at least 2 SAG vehicles and will carry some water, powdered sport drink, and some snacks for the Lucky Store stop location. Bring money for stores and cell phone.

This is not a "no drop" ride, but there should be several different levels of riders to hook up with. If you are in doubt, it is best to bring a buddy to keep you company. No one will be left behind unless they choose to ride alone. We will try and divide people into groups according to ability and encourage them to look out for each other and ride together...except for those fast riders that only know one speed! Riders usually regroup at the store stop, so don't worry if you fall behind.

The new Bella Roma Grill on the Rome Bypass will be the place for a post-ride meal, if desired. Their original location on Hwy 27 has closed. I know some people will want to jump on 140 and head home, but if you are not in a hurry come and eat with us.

I drove the routes today to freshen some marks. There are some sandy
washout areas in the rural areas. Watch for them. The color looked pretty good with my sunglasses on, but a little dull when they were removed. Hopefully, the color will improve and the weather will be dry and sunny.
My cell phone is 706-766-1064. I will be one of the SAG drivers. Cell service is not available in some areas, so if you have a problem, you may have to wait awhile to get in touch with one of us. If you have a mechanical/accident, we will probably not be able to bring you back to the park until we have finished sagging the entire ride. We have to make sure we have coverage for all of the riders.

No ride if raining! I will post Friday night, if ride is canceled.

Directions from Atlanta:

Take I-75 north to Adairsville, Exit 306
Exit and Turn left onto Hwy 140.
Stay on Hwy 140 until it dead ends into Hwy 27 (about 15 miles).
Turn right (north) on Hwy 27 and go about 11 miles.
You will go over a ridge and as you are descending the other side of the ridge, look for a sign to James H. (Sloppy) Floyd State Park. You will be turning left off of Hwy 27. (If you go into town, you have gone too far). The park is then about 3 miles ahead.

Hope to see you there!
Chris Mc

Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
bjp
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2011 - 06:07 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Chris do you have a Garmin compatible map for this route? (ie from BikeRouteToaster or somewhere similar)

TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2011 - 11:07 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

If no one posts a route, I will put something together this weekend. I believe I can remember the route

vrk75
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2011 - 11:19 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Here is what I found:-

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/bike-ride-map/georgia/summerville/11834440

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2011 - 05:31 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

vrk75,

I checked your map and it is pretty much what I have. You have a couple of additional small roads, but they are probably ones that merge with the bigger roads and don't even have signs.

Chris

wnl256
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2011 - 03:36 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

I'm real tempted to go do this ride (the 52). Anyone else planning on going?

Poolie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2011 - 04:33 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

wnl256 wrote:
I'm real tempted to go do this ride (the 52). Anyone else planning on going?

Need to check with my social coordinator (wife), but would also like to do the 52.

Micah
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2011 - 05:09 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I will do the 67 + the Lookout Mtn climb.

Jump to: