Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Tuesday, November 20, 2018 02:57 AM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cycling50
Post subject: CVCA Memorial Day Ride Option  PostPosted: May 23, 2011 - 05:46 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Some of us are planning to ride the upper century loop of the UTC ride on Memorial Day at 9 a.m. Park at "the Pocket" campground, then will do a cut through to get us over to E. Armuchee Rd and subsequently S. Dick Creek Rd. to start the loop.

I don't have the exact mileage, but will be somewhere between 50 and 60 miles. You have the choice to cut it short by not doing the very western loop.
The majority of riders have never ridden this upper loop, so this is a way to experience it without having to do a century. No mountains on this section, but one smaller climb and some bigger rollers, in addition to some flats and gentle rollers.

Afterwards you can cool off in the creek! Bring a lunch, if you want, for post-ride picnic.

Post here if interested and want more specific details. I will be leading the casual riders (15-16 mph pace) and there will be a faster group also.

P.S. You can make this a family event. Family can enjoy trails, playing in the creek etc. while you are riding. Kids love the creek!

Canceled if raining.

Thanks,
Chris

Reply with quote Back to top
forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2011 - 07:23 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I'm interested. We'll see how the weather and other competing activities go. Thanks!

funchik
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2011 - 11:05 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

this could be very nice if I dont go to Hartwell and manage a long ride on the MTB. there has been so many good road events, my other baby is feeling neglected.

Any word on the pics being taken along the route.

BTW, this loop made doing the century worth it- not to be missed.

Wolverine
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2011 - 05:01 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

This is the first time my 10 year-old son will be with me on Memorial Day weekend, so I'd like to do something special; this sounds really nice. I'd love it if you'd forward some more info my way (PM me with the details, please)!

Micah
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2011 - 03:58 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I'm thinking about doing this, but starting in Calhoun and going over Horn Mtn and meeting you guys on the other side.

Let me know if anybody wants to start with me for additional climbing and miles. Adds about 13 miles each way. Horn Mtn is like Wolfpen, but shorter.

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2011 - 04:08 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

OR....you can add the Horn Mt climb at the end of the ride. Horn Mt is just around the corner from the campground. You can climb the west (easier/shorter) side, turn around at top and then descend back to camp ground....or if you're a climber like Micah, you can climb the west side, descend the east side and then climb back up and over to return to the campground. Pick your poison!

Wolverine...I sent you a PM.

Wolverine
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2011 - 08:33 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Just got the word that I will be able to go Exclamation I am looking forward to doing the upper loop that I missed during the UTC. Very Happy

I hope there will be other kids there or my ten year-old will be bored after a while. I think I'll bring a small fishing pole for him to try to catch some fish. I have an extra if anyone would like to use it.

Who else is going, and where is the campground?

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2011 - 11:29 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Wolverine,

Glad to hear you're able to come! I don't know that any of our participants will bring children, but since it is a holiday there should be lots of kids in the park playing in the creek. Some kids also go to the other park entrance and ride their bikes in a small loop. If he has a bike you might want to bring it. The Girl Scout Camp is around the corner (on the way to climb Horn Mt) and has a lake that is open for fishing if he doesn't want to fish in creek. I think he'll be fine.

To get to campground, just go up I-75 to the Adairsville Exit/Hwy 140. Follow Hwy 140, cross Hwy 53 and continue until you see Old Dalton Rd (about 10 miles or so from Adairsville). Turn right on Old Dalton Rd. and continue north for about 16 miles and you will see campground entrance on the right. You will pass by the last 2 SAG stops on UTC, only going opposite direction. The Pocket is on the GA state map if you have one. If anyone else has better directions, please help him.

Jump to: