Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Thursday, January 23, 2020 07:22 PM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cycling50
Post subject: Up the Creek Without a Pedal XXI May 14  PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 - 05:16 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

The CVCA would like to welcome new and repeat cyclists to our new, improved UTC ride!

Changes this year include:

1. NEW START/FINISH LOCATION @ Armuchee High School(2.6 miles north of our old location at the mall).

2. Routes will basically be in REVERSE direction from the past. Century route will include a short climb over Little Sand Mt. early in the ride. Those that want the miles, but not the climb, can follow 60 mile route which will come back into the century route and just be short about 5 miles. We have also made some changes in the routes to eliminate more traffic and add more scenic roads.

3. New amenities include: pancake breakfast, tagless wicking shirt, indoor restrooms/showers at the start/finish, post-ride meal in the cafeteria.

4. UTC is an official BRAG training ride this year and we will be supporting the BRAG Dream Team members and their mentors. The BRAG safety pledge will be part of the waiver on Active.com and will also be available on our web site and on site that day.

PROS:

1. More hospitable site with indoor facilities
2. Overall, less traffic (Hwy 136 and 201 eliminated on century)
3. New scenic roads added to your past favorites(including the Pocket
area)
4. New amenities as above

CONS:

1. Parking will be more scattered around the school. I recommend
getting there early to get the closest spots.
2. Traffic crossing Hwy. 27 at beginning and end. Police will be there to
assist.
3. New changes will be a learning experience for all involved.
4. Price increase to $35 for pre-registered by May 7, and $40 afterwards,
including day of ride.

Overall, I hope everyone will be happy with the changes we've made. We will still have the same friendly staff, well stocked SAG stops, and SAG support on all of the routes, including the HAM radio operators and technical support.

Proceeds will benefit the Armuchee High School Booster's Club, the Boy Scouts of America, the Open Door Home(for children separated from their parents), and for area bike-related activities.

Registration is now available on Active.com. We have had some issues with our web site, but hopefully, you will be able to download a registration form from www.cvca.org by the end of the next week.
Route maps will be available soon.

Hope to see you on May 14th!

Chris Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
funchik
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 - 07:16 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Maaaaannnn, you are making that hard to pass up- no doubt.
Sounds wonderful but may have a conflict and so need to check it out.
Hopefully, I will want to be on a bike after 3 MTN Very Happy
If nothing else, I can always grab the metric if i don't feel up to the Century the day of.

Can't stand ACTIVE.COM- not nice people. so, I will be sending mine in snail- mail.
Will pass this along to the other groups with whom I ride.
The update is much appreciated.

Sadlebred
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 04:03 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I still wish there was a cheaper, no tshirt option.....nevertheless, I'll be there!

TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 12:22 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Quote:
post-ride meal in the cafeteria.

Hopefully it will be chick fil a in the cafeteria. I always love the chick fil a sandwiches after the ride.

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 02:21 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

funchik--hope you can make it. The metric is pretty easy if you decide your legs aren't ready for the century.

Trish--I'm with you on the shirts, but I'm always outvoted. I don't think any of the road rides give the option of no t-shirt anymore. I think one reason is that the shirt is where the sponsors get their advertising, so if there aren't shirts....they don't get their advertising. Sad

Tom--I'm not on the food committee. I think they are meeting with the boosters club to make a decision on what to prepare. The chick-fil-A won't be on site as before, so that may not be an option this year. I know they will have a vegetarian offering which wasn't available before.

Chris

funchik
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 09:56 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Oh, I know as I have ridden the metric 3 times in the last four months.
In fact, I just rode the back three gaps today for the first time in 3 years and had a blast, except for descending Hogpen as there was a tiny incident which was so odd I am still shaking my head over it.

Just dropped my MTB off for some TLC so I'll be exclusively on the road bike for a bit unless .... hate to push my boys, you know.

I think in order to make an INFORMED descion a pre-ride in the proper direction is in order Very Happy , right????

I like tshirts as they are bragging rights for those who participated. There have been a couple of times when someone has seen the shirt and said oh, yeah, I heard about that century and how bad the rain was...same goes for those I have earned MTBing as well.
I mean, 6 Gap doesn't hand-out until after you are done as they see it as a trophy.
The other option would be to do what Blazing Saddles does which is to offer socks instead. Each year the blaze is a different color.
Either way, I will always opt in for my "ribbon."

good infor and look foward to being able to download the registration.

gooberhead
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 11:28 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

This is one of the greatest rides in the universe EVER! I plan my entire cycling year around this puppy! They ain't no better ride anywheres! They's no greater thrill in the entire world than finishin' this one up with TomA an sittin' on the tailgate a his truck eatin a Chick-fil-A sammich watchin' all the slow riders come in! Why, I'd happily pay twiced what they is askin' fer this ride, it's that good! Shucks, go ahead an put me down fer seventy bucks. An if Trish don't want her shirt I'll take it.....

Last edited by gooberhead on Feb 27, 2011 - 11:32 PM; edited 1 time in total

gooberhead
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 - 11:31 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Is they a discount fer out a state riders this year? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Jump to: