Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, August 03, 2020 01:40 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cycling50
Post subject: CVCA Fall Colors Ride Sunday, Nov. 1st  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2009 - 10:16 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

CVCA FALL COLORS RIDE

Saturday, October 31st @ 9:30 AM. (Rain date Sunday Nov. 1st)

The Coosa Valley Cycling Associaton (CVCA) has invited NARC members, atlbike members, and anyone else, to join their annual Fall Colors Ride starting from James H. Floyd (Sloppy Floyd) Park off Hwy 27 N., in Summerville, GA.

Be ready to Ride at 9:15 am. Leave at 9:30 a.m.

NOTE: Parking and fee

Please park at first park entrance on left (as you enter). Restrooms are located at the top of the hill where there is plenty of parking, so you might want to go there first. Please Note: There is a DAILY PARKING FEE of $5/per vehicle which helps fund campground renovations, group shelter construction, dock replacements and much more. The CVCA will NOT be able to pay fee this year. I will have passes at the entrance starting around 8:15. Please try to bring correct change. I will also hand out the cue sheets at that time, but read the directions below for further information.

DIRECTIONS FROM ATLANTA:

Take I-75 NORTH to Adairsville, Exit 306.

Take Hwy 140 West to Hwy 27 N. (approx. 15 miles).

Turn right onto Hwy 27 N and go approximately 12 miles to Sloppy Floyd Park turn off on Left. Stay on Sloppy Floyd Lake Rd. for 3 miles until you reach park .

Webgeek prepared a ride start page for Sloppy Floyd State Park:

http://atlbike.org/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=12

TWO ROUTE OPTIONS:

1) 67 miles or 63 miles. This route will follow Chattooga Metric Route (yellow arrows). Upon returning to school on Hwy 114, riders can follow yellow chevron markers with initials L.O. (long option) to take scenic route back to park (67 miles) or continue to follow metric markers back to Hwy 27 and park (63 miles).

2) 52 miles or 48 miles. This route will follow Chattooga Metric Route (yellow arrows) until Lucky's Grocery Store stop in Menlo at 27.8 miles. After the store stop, this group will follow yellow chevron markers with initials S.O (short option) until they join back in with metric route at approximately 36 miles (metric mile 51.5). Route will then continue following Metric yellow arrows back to school. Riders can then follow either the yellow metric markers back to park or follow the yellow chevrons with initials L.O. (long option) to park.

Cue Sheets will be provided for both routes with the L.O. option.
There will be 3 store/bathroom stop on each route, but main one will be at Menlo. Bring money to buy food/drink or carry what you need.

There will be a SAG car for the metric option which can also carry your extra clothing from the cool morning start after it warms up. There may be a SAG for the shorter option, but not a definite. Most people will probably do the metric, so if you are doing the shorter option, you might want to find a buddy so you're not left out there alone.

Another option for people wanting to ride less miles is to buddy up and each person ride 1/2 the route and drive the other 1/2. That would also provide another SAG.

AFTER RIDE FESTIVITIES: Lunch at Bella Roma in Rome after ride. Bella Roma is located on Hwy 27 N. approximately 4 miles south of Hwy 140. (On your way home!)

QUESTIONS: Feel free to contact Chris McCormick, Coosa Valley Cycling Association at cycling50@aol.com.

Last edited by cycling50 on Oct 30, 2009 - 01:51 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2009 - 10:31 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I drove the routes today to check them and freshened up the chevrons. I would caution everyone to make this an enjoyable ride and not a race. There are no prizes for the first one in! I say this because, due to the flooding Chattooga Co. experienced, there is a fair amount of sandy washouts & debris on some of the roads. One road was closed last week. It is now open, but the flooding washed away part of the road, so it is now a one lane road for a short distance. The roads are not dangerous unless you are riding so fast that you don't have time to react, if you come over a hill or around a curve and find a hazard in the road. I may have a chance to sweep some of the debris, but definitely not all of it. The scenery is too pretty to go so fast anyway!

On a happier note, I think the colors will be good this year......IF, the rain and wind don't knock all the leaves off the trees! The ranger said the color is coming in earlier this year and there are still 2 weeks left.

Looking forward to a good ride this year.

Chris Mc

hollywood
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 - 04:47 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Looking forward to it...

hollywood
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2009 - 02:14 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Msg bump...

Weather forecast isn't outstanding, but it's not that bad either. Should be a good day.

Sat - Oct 31
69° high // 48° low ... Few Showers ... 30% chance of precipitation

TSF10
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 - 01:22 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I'm looking forward to this one!

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 - 01:45 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Well, the weather forecast is changing daily. Sad I'm still hoping to ride on Saturday, but will not decide until Friday night. Watch for an update.
Rain date is Sunday.

Chris Mc

Cell: 706-766-1064 for info or to check morning of ride. This will also be the SAG telephone # so you might want to make a note of it.

cycling50
Post subject: Fall Colors Ride--Sunday, Nov. 1st  PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 01:50 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

OK...I've given in to the weather forecast. It is now saying 80% chance of rain. The rain might hold off until later in the day, but it will still be cloudy and not as pretty a ride. So........

Ride will be Sunday, Nov. 1st at 9:30 a.m. Don't forget to set your clocks back one hour! Hope some of you will still be able to make it.

If anyone wants to come ride Saturday with their own group, pm me and I'll give you the cue sheets.

Chris Mc

brodymom
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 02:50 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

Thanks for making the decision early today - I am planning to ride with on Sunday. See you then and stay dry tomorrow. Smile

Jump to: