Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, August 03, 2020 02:03 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cycling50
Post subject: CVCA Lunar Bike Ride July 18th  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2008 - 01:00 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Our "Dog Days Lunar Bike Ride XIV" will be on Friday, July 18th from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. The ride takes place at Mt Berry Mall--same place as the start of our Up the Creek ride. One lap around the mall is one mile. You can ride as many laps as you want and stop at anytime for pizza, watermelon, ice cream (donated by Chick-fil-A), snacks, and drinks. A DJ will play a variety of music.

This is a great family event despite the late hour. The kids love the freedom of being able to ride without traffic. Some of the parents just come and sit in lawn chairs, listen to the music, visit, and eat while the kids wear themselves out. Of course, many of the parents ride also and there is usually a couple of pace lines going in the outer lane. The riders are separated in different lanes according to age and speed. There may also be a bike rodeo for the kids put on by Bob's Cycle Shop.

The lights will be on and the restrooms will be open. Mall security and police will be present to direct traffic on and off the course.

Some of you might want to bring the family, stay overnight and then ride from the mall in the morning. There will be a regular group ride at 8 a.m.

Registration form is available under "downloads" on www.cvca.org.

Hope to see some of you there. We usually have around 250 people.

Chris Mc

Reply with quote Back to top
cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2008 - 08:33 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Bump!

cycling50
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2008 - 10:48 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Well, we had a lower turnout this year...about 175 registered riders, but I think everyone had a great time. No rain, a full moon, and mild temperatures contributed to an ideal evening.

The enthusiasm of the children is wonderful to see. I just love the idea that they are outside exercising instead of sitting in front of the TV or playing video games. We had every type of rider you can imagine...from 4 yr. olds with training wheels, cocky pre-teens and teens, casual adult riders, elderly riders, all the way up to the racers doing pacelines.

One little girl with training wheels was so proud that she had done 2 laps (each lap is a mile) and was headed out to do more. Her parents said they live on top of a hill and she doesn't get a chance to ride. One of the racers brought his 7 yr. old son, who is just starting to ride, and he did 17 miles. He was smiling from ear to ear. Another rider was a 70+ woman who was recovering from open heart surgery and brought her grandson to ride with her.

We offer a family rate of $25 which includes the ride, pizza, watermelon, snacks, ice cream, drinks and music. This makes for a really inexpensive family activity when you have 4-6 children like some of our registered families. We'll probably be lucky to break even, but this event is more about providing a fun, family event than making money.

The only bad part about the ride is that I'm so tired and get home so late that I'm too tired to get up and ride in the morning! Oh well, I'm headed to Asheville to ride on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and surrounding areas this next week, so I think I'll get plenty of riding.

Chris Mc

Jump to: