Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Wednesday, June 26, 2019 08:00 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vrk75
Post subject: Velo City!  PostPosted: May 01, 2019 - 02:27 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I was thinking to register for velocity, but wow it is $125 - the most expensive ride in the area. I guess they spent lot of money advertising on Radio and TV.

Anyone here riding the Velocity ride?

Reply with quote Back to top
therider
Post subject: RE: Velo City!  PostPosted: May 01, 2019 - 03:21 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

My friends are but not me. Is it still starting in the Mercedes Benz Stadium? Last year they had a $1000 minimum fundraising effort too, but I think they backed off on that. But afterward I hear the food is amazing as well as entertainment so I'm sure that's where a lot of that $125 is going.

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2019 - 03:38 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I think that the fees go to support Grady Hospital.

therider
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2019 - 04:17 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

The ride is a fundraiser for Grady, but I'd bet the entry fee goes mostly for admin costs.

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2019 - 09:15 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I talked to a guy yesterday who was promoting this ride when he came up to a group ride that was about to start. He said that it is a fundraiser for Grady, and I asked him how much he knew about their funding and the general breakdown. I mentioned that there have to be a great deal of federal funds going into the hospital which are offset by the people who walk off and don't pay their bills. He admitted that he didn't know but was able to tell me quite a bit about how the hospital was rescued. I didn't find anything on their site either. One way or another, you have to have a strategy to attract riders, and along with those riders, you get advertisers/donors. The rider is paying for the food, or someone is donating it in exchange for a tax break. If making this a big, well-supported ride with a lot of stuff afterward is a strategy that works, it may have a multiplicative effect with the corporate donors and might mean the difference between $500k or $1.5M raised. That's just a theory, and it's a big "if."

https://velocityatlanta.com/

biker1881
Post subject: Re: Velo City!  PostPosted: May 01, 2019 - 09:25 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

I know it's far away for some of you. But I would spend $80 less and go to the Journey for Autism in Macon.

Velocity sounds like a series of rides like the Tour De Cure, MS, etc that take place in multiple cities. I usually pass on those. Much cheaper and better options exist.

I did not look closely and just saw "Velo." So assumed it was Velo Atlanta...the organization that hosts the Rescue 1. Makes more sense....was wondering why they would host rides on back to back weekends.

vrk75 wrote:
I was thinking to register for velocity, but wow it is $125 - the most expensive ride in the area. I guess they spent lot of money advertising on Radio and TV.

Anyone here riding the Velocity ride?

Sadlebred
Post subject: RE: Re: Velo City!  PostPosted: May 02, 2019 - 02:15 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Velocity Atlanta is unique to Atlanta; there are no others. It's for Grady Hospital. Their goal is to be the "Peachtree Road Race" of cycling events with thousands of participants. I did it last year. While there were some first-year-growing-pains overall it was a good ride. They hire a large, well known cycling promotions company to handle the organizing and day-of logistics of the ride, which may give it more of a "polished" feel than some local charity rides.

vrk75
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Velo City!  PostPosted: May 02, 2019 - 11:24 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Sadlebred wrote:
Velocity Atlanta is unique to Atlanta; there are no others. It's for Grady Hospital. Their goal is to be the "Peachtree Road Race" of cycling events with thousands of participants. I did it last year. While there were some first-year-growing-pains overall it was a good ride. They hire a large, well known cycling promotions company to handle the organizing and day-of logistics of the ride, which may give it more of a "polished" feel than some local charity rides.

Interesting! If it has Trish's approval it might be worth trying.

Jump to: