Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Saturday, July 20, 2019 01:52 AM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Yuppiepuppie
Post subject: Wednesday Wobbling  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2019 - 03:37 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

There should be a plethora of riders stirring up the yellow stuff tomorrow. I know the Chain Gang will be out in force, along with a contingent from Gwinnett County. Be extra careful though. Our jerseys are yellow, and we just might blend in too perfectly.

Veni Vidi Vomui
(I came, I saw, I vomited

Reply with quote Back to top
forrest
Post subject: RE: Wednesday Wobbling  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2019 - 05:52 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I usually put a few scoops in my bottle and shake. No need to stir.

Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 04, 2019 - 03:54 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

So what are the crazy blue markers in Cobb County that replaced the normal mile markers? Strange cryptic numbers too!

Veni Vidi Vomui

Sadlebred
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2019 - 03:25 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Yuppiepuppie wrote:
So what are the crazy blue markers in Cobb County that replaced the normal mile markers? Strange cryptic numbers too!

The blue markers didn't replace the mileage markers. They are GIS markers for emergency personnel. If there is an accident on a trail, give the 8 digit code to the 911 operator. They will be able to tell first responders exactly where to park to get on the trail quickly and where the person needing assistance is. It's much more accurate than saying "I'm somewhere between the bridge and the golf course."

Cobb County will be putting them on all paved multiuse trails in time.

Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2019 - 03:25 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

What a great idea! Unfortunately, most of the mile markers heading west have been removed. -A shame, but not a catastrophy. My cyclo-computer does a good enough job, which brings up another topic.

How many riders are content with just a CatEye cycle computer? I,ve recently downgraded to one that shows just speed and distance, along with elapsed and real time. I could care less about cadence, and if I need heartbeat, my iWatch can tell me.

Now, I ride with my head held high while enjoying the scenery, and wink and grin at the pretty girls approaching from the opposite direction. My ride quality has improved. TMI is an affliction that I discovered while flying. I flew with wiz-bang gadgets in the cockpit, that would tell me (-within feet), my course deviation, altitude, wind direction, true airspeed, etc etc etc. The new avionics took all the fun out of being lost! I found myself (-and others) flying with our heads down and buried deep into an instrument panel on perfectly sunny days. That's when I reasoned with myself. I could look at numbers on screens much more cheaply on the ground than in a simulator. The culmination of this phenomenon came to me when I read an accident report where two pilots collided with each other on a cavu day. One plane overtook and rammed the other, killing three. The explanation was (-from the surviving pilot) that he was following his new gps device and didn't see the other aircraft.

We ride bikes for exercise, but we also ride them go fun. Is it really that important that we know our cadence, or watts? Why not focus on a factor like enjoyment per mile? BTW, Garmin makes those same GPS devices for bicycles too...

Veni Vidi Vomui

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2019 - 04:05 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Electronics enhances or detracts from riding as much as you let it.

I'd be lost in the mountains riding gravel without a GPS and cadence is useful when riding fixed gear.

-Tim-

Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2019 - 04:31 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

We agree about the influence that electronics can play. A GPS can be helpful when riding in unfamiliar areas. I've not purchased a bicycle gps because I don't "explore" enough to justify the expense. If I find myself lost or unsure of my location, I'll pull out my iPhone and stick it under the flap of my bar bag (-the one that holds my 9mm pistol.). As far as cadence, I use the *tfar method. It works very well for me, and I suspect it would work just as well for others who ride like me.

I haven't ridden a fixie (-spell check keeps wanting to call it a Dixie) since the early 60's. It was a simpler time back then. There were either standard bikes, or English 3-speeds. I'm curious though. How does a knowledge of cadence help with a one-speed bike? When I was young and on my Schwinn, we just peddled the best we could. When we came to a hill, we pedaled slower, and even stood on the highest pedal. If the hill still was too steep, we zigzagged up the thing.

At 71+, I need all the help that I can get in the form of multiple gears and carbon fiber. As far as riding gravel roads in the mountains, those days are long past for me. I'll keep it simple with my Cat Eye. If I in fact, get serious about a bicycle ride across the US (-yes I'm thinking about it) I'll break down and purchase a Garmin.

BTW. The weather was outstanding today on the Comet! I just love this time of the year when everything's awakening and coming back to life. My white old-man legs were in startling contrast with Mother Nature's beauty. Now for a hot bath to minimize the leg cramps (-yes I hydrated, and I take CoQ10).

The only thing more ridiculous than my white legs, was a guy riding a time trial bike with five (5) water bottles (-two sprouting from the back of his seat; one for each cheek, two on his seat and down tube, and one big one mounted at the middle of his handle bar with a long straw. He didn't appreciate my inquiry wanting to know if he was thirsty. Absolutely no sense of humor...

Veni Vidi Vomui

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2019 - 03:21 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

The world would be a much better place if people just minded their own business and stopped caring how other people decide to enjoy their lives.

Jump to: