Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Saturday, June 15, 2019 10:36 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
forrest
Post subject: Suggestions on selecting a good set of road wheels?  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2019 - 04:31 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I am considering building a few new bikes this year, and I am looking at frames and components. My biggest question right now is on what wheels I should choose.

My current set of wheels came from Neuvation which went out of business a few years ago. I ordered the wheels around 2011, and they have been great. I had the front custom built with whatever Taiwanese clincher rim Neugent was importing at the time, and I opted for 28 spokes. They are something along the lines of Sapim CX Ray Aero or whatever the product was at the time. I have had zero problems with them. The hub is a White Industries H2 hub. I have had zero problems with it.

The rear wheel is similar to the front with the exception of the hub being a PowerTap hub. The strain gauge or electronics failed twice within the warranty period with fairly gentle riding, and then I finally obliterated it riding the heavily washboarded loose sand roads somewhere between Pikes Peak and Cheyenne Mountain. It was starting to go out of calibration, so this was a great way to finish it off. I gave up on the power portion and have been riding with a dead PowerTap since 2013. Other than that, the hub has been great, and so has the rest of the wheel.

For both of my wheels, there are no structural plastic or composite parts. The races to the best of my knowledge are steel, and so are the bearing balls. The rims are aluminum. The spokes are steel. These are the best materials for a wheel if you are not a pro athlete in competition. They will usually let you know when they are close to failure. You might be able to run over a graphite rim with a semi, but you have just about guaranteed that it will fail spectacularly in the short or medium term. The forks scare me enough as it is. I am not against composite rims. I just don't want to ride on them. Ceramic bearings don't belong on a bike as far as I am concerned. Mavic's "plastic hub" (plastic bushing + soft metal pawl) is what I am trying to avoid here.

With these considerations in mind, where should I be looking for a new wheel set? I want something that will perform just like my current set.

Reply with quote Back to top
TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2019 - 03:34 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I wouldn't use ceramic bearings on a daily driver.

Sounds like you want something durable. You could work with Richard over at prowheelbuilder.com in Cumming. He will do whatever you want.

You can't go wrong with HED Belgium rims. The Belgium+ will get you some extra width.

HED Ardennes+ are similar but off the shelf, pre built.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/hed-ardennes-sl-plus-wheelset-clincher. Carbon hubs though.

Sapim CXRay (aero) or Laser (round) spokes are pretty standard.

Brass nipples for durability or aluminum nipples to save weight. You could do brass nipples on the rear drive side and aluminum everywhere else.

An H+ Son Archetype rim laced to a Bitex hub with Laser spokes and brass nipples would be a really great value. The anodized brake track would wear off to silver in about 400 miles This is what I have on my Rodriguez fixed gear but with Dia Compe short flange track hubs.

https://atlantabikerides.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/c01f6-rodriguez-04-29-18-002-lg.jpg

You could also ask over at bikeforums.net. Post your question in the road bike forum and you are sure to get some ideas. They are going to crucify you for the "fail spectacularly in the short term" comment however, and rightfully so. It's fine if you don't want carbon rims though. Everyone wants what they want. There are lots of great alloy wheelsets out there.

-Tim-

Sadlebred
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 28, 2019 - 02:34 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Look at Boyd Wheels out of Greenville, SC. I've been thrashing 1 pair for 10 years in cyclocross and the other through 3 seasons. They have held up really well.

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2019 - 07:38 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Tim and Trish,

I greatly appreciate the responses.

Tim: I looked over what you posted, and the information looks good. I may pursue one of these options later in the year.

Trish: I looked over some literature on Boyd's site. They explain on some of their pages how they have built components and how and they made their decisions. The 85 hub, for instance, has notes on what bearings they chose and why they picked something a few grams heavier. I was not expecting this kind of detail, but it was exactly what I wanted to see. The plus to Boyd is that TomA has/had a set, so I know that they can handle anything. I've seen him go over holes the locals get their tractors stuck in.

I ordered a set of Boyd Altamont wheels with the ceramic coating. We will see how long the coating lasts.

TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2019 - 12:50 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Forrest,
I am still riding my Boyds. Just got out Tuesday and rode 40 miles. They have been rock solid since they day I bought them. Now I did get the old fat man spoke count of 24/28.

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2019 - 01:09 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

TomA wrote:
Now I did get the old fat man spoke count of 24/28.
Are you calling me an old fat man?

TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2019 - 11:50 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Only if you get the old fat man spoke count of 24/28

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2019 - 04:34 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance