Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Saturday, June 15, 2019 10:57 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
biker1881
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2019 - 07:51 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

forrest wrote:
Nice posts there, Mr. Lay's!!!

I'm with you on the cost. I can go out there and ride the roads for free at my own pace. I would pay a few dollars more for a benefit ride. If you look at how well something Chattooga is supported for what they are trying to fund, I will go out of my way to bring extra riders in. Six Gap, no way. It's too trendy and too expensive for a for-profit ride.

for some reason, Six Gap has never made my bucket list. $66 plus hotel doesn't really help. Don't think I have ever paid that much for a one day loop ride.

majority of the rides are hovering in that $35-$40 price range, including Serrano, and UTC. Considering what those rides have to offer, that price is a steal, and is what I use to compare other rides to. Even the 400 ride at $35 stands out. I just can't stand the wait for staging. Even BBC at $40 is very reasonable. But the car line and parking are major issues at that ride. The One Love was at $35 last year and is a good deal too.

Chattooga was $25 for many years and that was a great value. $35 is still fine for that ride considering the route and fresh baked cookies in Menlo. Hope they bring back Chattooga.

Despite lumping Jackson County Brevet with the higher priced rides, I think 100% of those proceeds go to aplastic anemia research. And the ride offers a lot of amenities.

SBL rides (Wilson and Covington) are $55. I think it's $10-$15 too high but I still go becuase of proximity. The Southside Century in July at $55 is steep considering what is provided. That's all that really comes to mind. Everything else is priced about right. But I am starting to become selective if price, crowd control, parking and/or experience don't match expectations.

Reply with quote Back to top
TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2019 - 12:04 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

rlaz wrote:

Join us in Dunlap on October 5th for the first annual CYCLE SEQUATCHIE and see why Sequatchie Valley is Chattanooga's cycling playground! Only half an hour from town but a world away from the traffic. Check out CycleSequatchie.com for more info and to sign up!

© 2018 3 State 3 Mountain

I did that ride many years ago. It was a great ride with terrain similar to the Chattooga ride. Flat to rolling with one big climb. Looks like they changed the start. The year i did it, it started at a high school. It is in central time so you don't have to get up and head out as early as you did for 3 state

gocatscanes
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2019 - 02:20 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

NGCA just added it to the ride schedule for this year so expect to get at least 50+ NGCA riders out to UTC - I'll be going.

biker1881
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 - 04:22 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

The Honeybee Metric Century (now with a century option) seems like an appealing option.

https://www.bikereg.com/40885

It includes a family pass to Rock City that is good for one year plus a $6.50 voucher to eat at a local restaraunt or at the festival.

The Prison Prevention Chattanooga Century Bike Ride is another ride I may consider:

https://itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=7046

motoBcane
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2019 - 12:27 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

A couple weird things I saw in this years ride. A couple of Ebikes and someone taped a floor pump in his left seat stay. I guess he doesn't know about sag help.

I paid the day of, was surprised there was no bracelet, numbers or any identification. The lady said they were using the honor system, ok then... I was just happy to see a chick fila tent instead of choosing your food place like it was in the past. Attendance was definitely down...$55 is not bad especially if it's going to a bike organization and trail building.

Btw, the NGCA folks was a no show.

MrBigStuff
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2019 - 04:36 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev1tB_xgLKU

vrk75
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2019 - 05:40 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

motoBcane wrote:

I think there was a race in Athens. That's where NGCA folks might have gone.

biker1881
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2019 - 02:05 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

Also BRAG Spring Tuneup in Rutledge. While not close to Rome, they may have taken some Atlanta riders that would have considered UTC. I believe 1,100 riders was their number.

Everyone was raving about the PBGB's. I loved those and the strawberries and ice cream. I got a 26 minute head start on the mass start due to the car fire on 411 that delayed the mass start by 15 minutes (BTW, I was 8 cars behind but still got to the Forum at 7:20). So had the Floyd Springs and Barton Farm stop to myself. Couldn't have asked for better weather.

Chris M says the future beyond the 30th anniversary ride next year is in doubt. So next year's UTC may be the final one.

On another topic, Chattooga says they plan to host the ride on Aug 10th this year.

vrk75 wrote:
motoBcane wrote:

I think there was a race in Athens. That's where NGCA folks might have gone.

Jump to: