Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, August 20, 2018 11:04 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vrk75
Post subject: 3 state 3 mountain is no more  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2018 - 03:02 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I might have missed a post about it. The UTC post reminded me that 3 state 3 mountain is around the corner as UTC was always a week after 3S3M.

I found hat it is suspended,

"The 2018 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge has been suspended.
The decision was made at the CBC monthly meeting to suspend the 3-State 3-Mountain Challenge. The majority of the board felt that there was not enough interest and involvement from the CBC members and that the competition was strong enough to keep it from being feasible to continue with the event. It was not a unanimous decision. Some of us feel like this is the loss of the most unique bicycle event of this area. It covers the essence of Chattanooga, nestled between the mountains. However the majority felt this was the correct decision."

http://3state3mountain.org/

The weather was always an issue. It rained practically every time but the route was still very good.

Reply with quote Back to top
forrest
Post subject: RE: 3 state 3 mountain is no more  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2018 - 12:59 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Interesting. I really enjoyed doing this ride in 2011. It was well-organized and well-managed.

I wonder what factors really played into this. I wrote off the ride when they jacked up the prices and started featuring things like riding with Boy George and coming down Ochs Highway and paying $110 or whatever the fee was. It's kind of like Six Gap but without the logo that someone probably designed out of boredom in sixth period study hall and without running out of water at the tops of the hills. He heee.

If they bring back 3 State and make it what it used to be, I would probably do it again.

webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2018 - 02:15 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I had a 3State,3Bridge route up there.
And a great route that went UP Dougherty Gap and rode the 'brow'.
Some of 'm other gravel gaps might even be paved now?
I never thought that trudging up Burkhalter was an epic ride; ugly view, high traffic.
Worst gap ride up there IMO.

motoBcane
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2018 - 03:41 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

The Hincapie grand fondo of Chattanooga replaces that ride I believe in May 5 this year... bigger name draw, probably pricey too...

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2018 - 04:11 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Yep, that one's expensive too. $150?

Seems that a lot of these rides are being priced out of the common cyclist's budget.

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2018 - 03:32 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Man, I thought I was a cynic. Forest and Chris, you guys are experts. Rolling Eyes

Most people spend more than the cost of a ride on a year of Netflix and don't even think about it. It all comes down to choices.

I'm sorry to see this ride go. It was one of the best rides I have ever done. The finish line was an awesome experience.

Lighten up. Life is short.

-Tim-

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2018 - 04:38 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I gave up television in 2002. I gave up Six Gap in 2012. Been retired for the past year and a half. Every penny counts.

If I'm paying $150 for a ride, it had better go to research to cure aplastic anaemia, fibromyalgia, or multiple sclerosis. I'm not shelling out that kind of money to fill the coffers of the Lumpkin County Chamber of Commerce. I could buy a dozen sheets of cotton impregnated phenolic for that amount and ride for free.

On that note, I was thinking on my ride yesterday about doing a 9 Gap ride the day before Six Gap. 50% more gaps for 50% less the day before Six Gap. And all the proceeds go to some charity. A major pain to organize but worth it if a few riders show up and it manages to grab some attention.

9 Gap Century / 4.5 Gap Sixty (since Woody isn't a real gap) - coming soon?

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2018 - 03:21 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

forrest wrote:
I gave up television in 2002.

See, now this is impressive. I respect you for this.

My plan is to delete TV service when my youngest child moves out in a few years. My employer pays for Comcast internet so I'll likely keep that.

Yeah, $150 is a lot for an organized ride any way you look at it. Southern Cross was "only" $80 and both Hincapie and Vande Velde were there. Red Clay Ramble is only $45 if you are not racing. Gravel is still cheap, relative to organized road rides.

-Tim-

Jump to: