Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:56 AM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2018 - 11:29 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

This is the first time I've done UTC. It was an awesome ride. Perfect weather and great SAG stops.

28 MPH through the pocket with a group was a blast.

My GPS says 106 miles at 18:4 MPH average. 5:48 moving time and 6:22 total time. Pretty happy about that.

4118 calories. Shocked Now I will eat Sushi and dumplings.

-Tim-

Reply with quote Back to top
forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2018 - 05:47 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

I got in 120 miles and something like 4400 feet of ascent. I set out to big ring Little Sand Mountain (has some steep sections) since I haven't done any climbing lately.

Flat-out could not sleep last night. I went to bed around midnight and expected to fall asleep shortly thereafter and wake up at six in the morning. I finally managed to sleep at 3:30 and woke up at 4:00. The head was pounding for some odd reason, and the hours went by like minutes. Around 5:30, I made the call that I wasn't about to be some flaming drop-out and set up the oven to make breakfast. I arrived in Rome with a lot of time to spare and ran into LEO John in the parking deck. He was in a similar condition as his grandchildren had worn him out.

The ride started five or six minutes early, and I am unsure why that is the case. I missed the "start" and must have casually passed two hundred riders knowing that I would not be able to keep that pace but also that we would not cross paths again. After an hour, I did the Little Sand Mountain climb (default KOM) and rode down W. Armuchee a few times and added fifteen miles to the route. That and a very slow pace put me behind just about everyone else there. At some point, the base of the valve stem on one of my tubes took a dump, I ran out of options to inflate the new tube, and I called the ride organizer Julie. She quickly had Blake come out in the Cycle Therapy van and got the tube inflated. Riding alone out there, that itself was worth the UTC fee.

Painstakingly slow, but I was not the last one out there. I actually traded places for dead last in the final ten miles. One of the volunteers pulled me aside and said, "That guy was an hour ahead of you earlier. That is called bridging the gap." It's also called setting a painstakingly slow pace for the final 85% of the ride to avoid bonking, exactly what bjp and I did last year.

Chris McCormick kept bending over backwards as always and made me feel awful because she was being so nice. I wanted to give her a hug but held off because the salt was cleaving off my face in sheets. She was not sure whether there would be Chicken-Fil-Let left over, and she tried to give me some money to go downtown and get something to eat. I made it to the end, and there were plenty of sandwiches left. As a matter of fact, I have one sitting here on the desk, and I'll either throw it in the deep freezer or remember to eat it tomorrow when I use the computer again.

MrBigStuff
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2018 - 06:08 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Man, that's some ride, Forrest!

Tim, the UTC is probably my favorite group ride of them all. Looks like you were movin'!

Saw John and Scott at the <false> start.

Two weeks ago I didn't think I was going to be able to ride any distance at the UTC. During the initial boot-wearing days after my ankle surgery, I used the UTC as motivation to get into a condition where I could ride. The rehab sessions were painful, I wasn't cleared to ride, then weather and job conspired to keep me off the bike. I did get in a couple of Silver Comet rides plus one LM group ride out of Sosebee, but I wasn't in anything resembling riding shape. Fortunately, I had been cleared for any activity "that I can stand the pain".

I was prepared to sit this one out until I saw the weather predictions. Had to give it a try. Opted for the 53 mile route as I usually do the 71. Smart move! Really enjoyed the ride even though I was toast. Looking forward to a fun summer!

Yes, there is video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVPNTV58WKw

Sadlebred
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2018 - 02:51 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

It was a great ride! Ya'll know I don't do long distances anymore. I opted for the 53 and was somewhere in the top 15-20 coming back in on that distance. Plenty of people did the "build your own 44" and turned around at the 2nd/3rd rest stop. Riding through the Pocket is always gorgeous. The volunteers, food, route, markings, police support was all top notch. Chris and crew did an amazing job as always!

Jump to: