Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Monday, February 19, 2018 10:57 PM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
webgeek
Post subject: Site fixed... UGGH + <RANT>  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2018 - 05:31 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

<RANT>
Maybe my expectations are too high.
But there will likely never be an end to internet swill.

Apparently, the Weather Channel has no intention of NOT destroying Weather Underground.
So the Sunrise-Sunset badge that functioned so well for many years is now gone from the site.

More recently, Flickr code was loaded down with a batch of twitter analytics (malware trackers?) that the site security refused to load.
So the Flickr Photo Box is now gone also.
Think that accounted for 7 errors.
It's really disgusting what most sites are bombarding users with.
</RANT>

Site has returned to nominal speed now.

Reply with quote Back to top
webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2018 - 03:26 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Flickr has suffered a slow agonizing death.
It startred with the yahoo acquisition in 2005.
More like a cancer or dementia that strangled it's creative limbs as they withered and were shed from the core; not the quick kill in the image below from 2012.
In 2013, Flickr was still very popular and receiving 3.5 million new photos daily.
Yahoo was acquired by Verizon in Jun'17.
Change the name on the knife to Verizon.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--bcICRH2l--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/17mp98bddgpjnjpg.jpg

forrest
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2018 - 07:11 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Oh, GREAT. I didn't know that the Weather Channel had purchased Wunderground. Looks as though that happened a while back.

It also looks as though they are actively trying to kill Wunderground. They redid the site maybe a year ago, and it both slowed down loading of everything and caused the information to be disorganized so that you have to click three or four times to get the full set of data that you used to be able to get without trying......

Lately, Wunderground hasn't even loaded on my desktop. The page half-loads, and the actual data never fill. The next day, it's OK again. The mobile site takes a minute to use and drains 10% of my phone's battery loading up the clickbait every time that I try to access it.

Kind of reminds me of SunTrust's online banking. They block IP addresses at random, so if you're on the receiving end of this and set up a proxy from another IP, it will cost you half a day on the phone and another half a day in a branch waiting on the phone with a banker. This is after they can't "validate" you after giving them your SSN, the account number, your address, the name of your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, and your telephone number. The one piece that they can't validate--your telephone number--is the very number that they just called you on to tell you that your account was banned.

"%*@&! Even in the future noting works!" --Dark Helmet

Jump to: