Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Thursday, September 20, 2018 06:27 AM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Yuppiepuppie
Post subject: Roadside Violence  PostPosted: Jan 18, 2018 - 07:15 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

Just viewed a roadside violence attack on a 75-year-old cyclist (-I'll paste the Youtube link below). As a point of discussion, how would you react if confronted by an attacker? Remember, they're in a vehicle that's much more powerful and dangerous than what we ride, and can go faster, quicker, and with a potentially lethal weapon.

https://youtu.be/lCuh8Dr0npE

[url]https://youtu.be/lCuh8Dr0npE
[/url]

Veni Vidi Vomui
(I came, I saw, I vomited

Reply with quote Back to top
therider
Post subject: RE: Roadside Violence  PostPosted: Jan 18, 2018 - 03:26 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

I'm getting an error saying the video is unavailable. Can you describe the attack? Are they attacking with their car or did the person get out of the car? If they try to run me off the road or block me using their car, I plan to stop and get off the road and hopefully get out my phone camera. Once off the road, they are limited in what they can/will do with their cars. Hopefully they will drive away at that point.

If they get out, diff story. Again if I can get my phone out I will and try to de-escalate, but once they get into some range and continue to approach the phone is dropped and they better get ready to have a mouth full of front wheel or whatever weapon/method of attack I choose. If I'm outnumbered, I'll try to get the heck out of there someway if I can!

webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2018 - 04:49 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCuh8Dr0npE

therider
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2018 - 06:54 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

It's hard to tell how it all went down. I mean it looks like maybe the driver hit the cyclist and knocked him down. At that point the driver could have got out and jumped the guy while he was still dazed, or they may have had a shouting match and then the driver got out, who knows. If it was the former, the only thing you can do it try to defend and get away. If it's the latter, the best thing to do is not confront them at all.

If they come towards you aggressively, especially if they are wielding a club? Well if you are the aggressive, fighting type with some skills, then kick his butt. Otherwise run! I know it's hard to run in cycling shoes but fatboy there probably would not run more than 10 steps before giving up. Regardless try to maintain some distance between you and the attacker, don't just let him walk up to you.

Phone cameras and gopro cams are you friend too. (they won't protect you but they will help with the police later).

Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2018 - 11:41 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

"How it came down" could be a result of almost infinite premises. I think it important that as cyclists, we have some kind of plan when faced with violence.
In our riding group, we've had an individual who was mugged on the Silver Comet, and we know about the rapes and murders that have hit the news.

In response, I know of riders who "pack" a weapon; anything from pepper spray to lethal small pistols, each have their advantage and disadvantage.

Pepper spray, if used improperly, can fly back in one's face and blind, with the side disadvantage of actually assisting the attacker. It can also become ineffective, and serve to escalate a situation rather than help. Its one and only advantage is that it's not permanent like a gun. Police officers already know this about pepper spray.

Stun guns offer the same good/bad choices. ON a cold day like today, the gun would be totally ineffective with all of the layers worn in the cold. I see it as being more of a disadvantage.

A 9mm automatic would afford the most immediate protection, but with the side effect that the user will, at the least, spend time in jail. If you shoot someone, it must be an absolute last resort, and you *amn well be able to prove that you had no other option, and that your life was in deadly peril. -A lot of prerequisites for a split-decision action.

Perhaps the best safety measure would be fo all of us to clump up in our rides, and ride as a group whenever possible. Roadbikerider.com is currently suggesting a form of martial art training, but many of us are older, and even with that training, would fare not so well. -Bubba with a blackjack would probably come out on top, as he did in the video.

Veni Vidi Vomui
(I came, I saw, I vomited

therider
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2018 - 02:15 PM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

All very good points Yuppiepuppie, I think riding in a group is your safest bet to avoid a confrontation like this. Bubba the bully wouldn't confront a group of people, that's not the way a bully works.

The original question was how do you react if confronted by an attacker. The answer is it depends.

Regarding guns, you are right about being able to articulate how you were in danger of death OR GREAT BODILY HARM. You don't have to be facing just death to use deadly force. Also don't forget about "disparity of force". You mentioned being "older" and that martial art training may not help against a younger stronger attacker, that's a perfect example of disparity of force. Another is a female being attacked by a man. Disparity of force makes it a little easier to articulate how you felt you were in danger.

But.......just because you are older and/or weaker, doesn't mean you can't mount some possible defense which may help you. Poke Bubba in the eyes, throat strikes, nose strikes, groin kicks, all those can be executed by anyone which may give you an opportunity to escape.

Again I think it's best, besides riding in groups, if you are alone and confronted, avoid confrontation at all costs and get away! Don't let anyone get close to you so that they can attack you!

webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2018 - 04:41 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

A Canadian man has been charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after he was caught on a videotape beating an elderly man with a club.
The driver then fled the scene in his truck.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/07/21/driver-charged-after-dramatic-video-shows-vicious-attack-of-74-year-old-cyclist.html

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/22/canadian-man-charged-in-videotaped-beating-with-club-elderly-cyclist.html

It was good to see that so many local citizens cared to stop and help.

Jump to: