Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Friday, September 21, 2018 07:14 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
forrest
Post subject: 2018 Chattooga Century: SATURDAY, Aug. 11, 2018  PostPosted: Aug 10, 2018 - 04:50 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

The 2018 Chattooga Century will be occurring tomorrow, Aug. 11, 2018 in Summerville, GA.

http://www.chattoogacentury.org/

There are 15-mile, 30-mile, metric cent, full cent, and 125-mile routes this year. I will probably be doing the 100-mile route as I haven't been riding much and a century is about all that I can handle at the moment. The times that I have done the 125-mile route, I have been one of the last riders to return, and there has still been plenty of pizza, but it hasn't been quite as fresh.

The routes are found here. http://www.chattoogacentury.org/index.php/routes

Morning registration is $45. This goes to support the Chattooga County high school athletics programs.

I highly recommend this one as one of my top two rides of the year. Dozens and dozens of volunteers show up to do nice things like hand you water bottles at the tops of climbs or drive around in their pickups to hand you water bottles out of a cooler. It is usually hot and is always hilly, so remember to pace yourself. Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
TimH
Post subject: RE: 2018 Chattooga Century: SATURDAY, Aug. 11, 2018  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2018 - 04:26 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

+1 on this ride.

Scenery was amazing - vistas from the top of the mountains and 360 degree views of the mountains from the valleys.

All the riders and especially the workers were extremely friendly. Rest stops were well stocked. I wish I had known they had showers available.

As noted by Forrest, a SAG truck passed me, slowed and a volunteer in the bed of the truck offered a bottle of water. I didn't even have to slow down!

Paul and Judy who used to run NARC send their regards to all.

Attendance was only 244 and I heard through the grapevine that this ride was almost cancelled due to lack of registration in the days leading up. I don't know why. Summerville isn't Buckhead but the riding is super nice.

-Tim-

MrBigStuff
Post subject: MrBigStuff's ride  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2018 - 05:22 AM
CenturyRider Level
CenturyRider Level

As mentioned, one of the best routes for a group ride. Wow, seemed like more than 244 Tim. It seemed to me there were more cars in the parking lot than last year and they had 300. Of course, they used to have 700.

As usual, this ride was well organized with plenty of volunteers to keep the registration process moving fast and smoothly. The "official" start rolled out at 8:00, but several groups started earlier. The Rome regulars had at least 2 groups (sans Chris M.)

This was the longest ride of the year for me coming back from ankle surgery. The ankle is fine for cycling. I was pretty "fresh" going into the ride, but I struggled on some of the early climbs yet rolled pretty good through the rollers up at the north end of the route. Riding in the shade like Back Valley and Shinbone helped. I like how the last 12 miles or so from the last SAG stop is pretty flat, but man, it's exposed to full sun.

Like Tim said, everyone was friendly and the SAG stops well stocked. The Coca-Cola at the last SAG stop was especially welcomed.

There was a lot of gravel washed out onto the roads from the recent storms. It seemed like more than usual number of riders fixing flats today. I did several twitchy weaves to "miss" a lot of it.

Tim, I knew about the showers and just didn't bother this year. As you probably experienced yourself, the gym A/C is not anywhere close to 68 degrees (more like 80). Last year, by the time I got my "regular" clothes on I was sweatin' just as much as before.

Hope they can keep this ride going. It's one of my favorites. It's still one of the cheapest if you pre-register.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gaglrRIDzA

webgeek
Post subject: RE: MrBigStuff  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2018 - 05:52 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Ron,
Double thumbs-up on the front-rear video transitions, very nice touch.
Maybe you are ready to move-up to Davinci Resolve for editing and color grading?

BTW Davinci Resolve is free, world-class software

TimH
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2018 - 05:14 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Thanks for the video Ron! I'm sorry we didn't get to meet.

244 was the number given by one of the rest stop workers. I can't vouch for accuracy.

Riders were calling out "Gravel!" as if it was a bad thing. Very Happy

Every time I got discouraged about chipseal, long straights without shade or uphill false flats the route would reward perseverance with some breathtaking feature. The long fast descent after slogging solo on State Line Rd and the turn onto tree lined Dougherty Gap Rd after the open section of State Route 57 were most memorable.

The Dougherty Gap Rd descent was world class. For an idea...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb7iad2h7vew82c/dougherty.gap.JPG?dl=1

The t-shirt seem better than most, high quality and simple design.

I will definitely do this ride again and probably ride up that way again in the fall.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimH on Aug 12, 2018 - 08:55 PM; edited 1 time in total

biker1881
Post subject: Re: RE: 2018 Chattooga Century: SATURDAY, Aug. 11, 2018  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2018 - 06:17 PM
HuffyCruiser Level
HuffyCruiser Level

TimH wrote:
+1 on this ride.

Attendance was only 244 and I heard through the grapevine that this ride was almost cancelled due to lack of registration in the days leading up. I don't know why. Summerville isn't Buckhead but the riding is super nice.

-Tim-

would have been a shame had they cancelled but glad they did not. The ride itself was great as always. And I make an extra effort to do rides that charge under $40. Seems like most are $40-$50 now....must be a spring surcharge as fall rides remain relatively cheap.

I did not know about the showers either beforehand. It caught me by surprise.

Glad I got to ride this year...especially with Fall Colors not coming back.

Sadlebred
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 2018 Chattooga Century: SATURDAY, Aug. 11, 2018  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2018 - 03:12 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

How was the turn out this year? I had a wedding to attend and couldn't ride.

Jump to: