Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Friday, September 21, 2018 08:18 PM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
crispx
Post subject: nutritional supplements  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2015 - 04:15 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

http://examine.com/supplements/Branched+Chain+Amino+Acids/

Found an interesting and informative web site that for free, presents useful summary information on nutritional supplements and ingredients. The link above is for BCAAs, as an example. I'm always leery of proprietary supplement mixes. I've seen many horror stories of these concoctions that end up being pulled or changed because of ingredients that posed health risks.

Reply with quote Back to top
vrk75
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2015 - 06:35 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

BCAAs are actually useful in two circumstances -

1. When training fasted but the ratio has to be 2:1:1 with 2 being for Leucine. I used them when I was trying to loose fat and exercising early morning in fasted state. I think it did help because when I was training fasted I did increase my lean mass and lost fat.

2. This I am not sure about. Long Cardio such as century rides or marathon are very catabolic in nature i.e. they cause muscle mass to reduce. I have heard body breaks down muscles when I think BCAAs prevent muscle loss in these circumstances. I took 2 - 1000 mg BCAA capsules every hour of long rides.

But apart from these cases I think BCAAs are not that useful as whey/other protein sources have BCAAs.

NutriKiss
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2015 - 03:19 AM
Tricycle Level
Tricycle Level

There is no good reason to supplement with BCAA. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) in their position paper list BCCA under "ERGOGENIC AIDS THAT DO NOT PERFORM AS CLAIMED". They do not delay fatigue however carbs (ex:sports drinks, also dry fruits like raisins work well for some people) before and during exercise help.

Want to read up on research see link below:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?LinkName=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=10452228

Jump to: