Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Friday, October 18, 2019 07:41 AM EDT

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
crispx
Post subject: Trail Work & ALERT: warning  PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 - 08:30 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

Ran the Trail Blower yesterday.
It was windy which makes running the blower a challenging task. The blower will always move the debris, but the larger leaves can loft into the crosswinds and you can end-up with as many (maybe more?) leaves on the trail as when you started. As for the bridges... ask me why they build the bridges with curbs? The curbs trap all the debris. I guess it's like building tunnels with no gutters, so you get pools of water and muck. Just like a bicycle (& life), the wind isn't always at your back.

Good part is getting all the branches, black walnut and rocks off the trail. Cleaned from Mc Dowell to Florence. Ran 42 miles. I would have cleaned to Rockmart but I beat the thunder storm back with about two minutes to spare. For those that don't know the roads, that's from the Florence to Coots Lake trailheads.

Reply with quote Back to top
chindog
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 - 12:08 AM
bigWheel Level
bigWheel Level

I've often wondered if there is an organization that takes care of the Silver Comet Trail. I suppose the counties take care of mowing along the trail, since I've seen a difference in the vegetation growth when passing from one county to another. I've passed by someone running a blower, too. Maybe that was you, crispx. Thanks for your work to keep the lanes clear! I've also stopped to clear tree branches and other debris from the trail while riding, but just as a courtesy to other riders, and not as a planned maintenance effort. I'm curious about how the continual maintenance gets done from one end of the trail to the other.

TomA
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 - 02:25 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

chindog and others that don't know.

Chris and Jim do all of the trail cleaning in Polk and Paulding counties. It is all volunteer work and the equipment was bought out of their pockets. There is a link on the main page where you can make a donation to help offset the cost of fuel and maintenance on the equipment.

Chris also cuts back weeds and saplings to improve sight lines and safety at several crossings.

chindog
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 - 01:43 AM
bigWheel Level
bigWheel Level

Good job guys. I chipped in a little gas money.

motoBcane
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 - 02:16 AM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

I try to donate once a year, Chris does put in a lot of sweat. time and $$ for what we Silver Comet Trail riders take for granted, a nice clean trail...especially this time of year when debris is most prominent.......Cobb county side does a good job with their maintenance, but of course they have more resources...

webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 - 03:41 PM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

Thanks ChinDog.

Polk County now has their own blower. Unfortunately it wasn't done like our setup (They saw ours and we sent them pictures). Jim and I don't think it's effective or safe the way they've done it. They mounted a Billy Goat blower (like ours) on the back of a Kawasaki Mule and drive down the trail against traffic blowing across the trail; apparently with no throttle control access. Needless to say, when I saw this vehicle with headlights on and NO flashing warning lights, coming straight at us on the trail yesterday morning I was thinking "What the h***?". We were heading west from the tunnel at 20+ mph, so we are closing on this vehicle at probably ~30mph. Their solution was to pull back across the trail, stop and let us pass.

Many problems with this approach as you might well imagine... but, at least those of you that read this will be fore-warned.

Jump to: