Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page | Register | Log in
Welcome Guest | Thursday, January 23, 2020 06:45 PM EST

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Yuppiepuppie
Post subject: Another Anniston Ride Report  PostPosted: May 13, 2009 - 04:31 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

-Another Anniston ride report, but unique since it’ll be the last trip that we’ll do until we return from BRAG. One of the main purposes for these rides has always been to condition ourselves for The Main Event. With BRAG now only 4 weeks away, we now feel like we’re ready.

There was really nothing outstanding about this particular ride. VeloNeil was totally ignored by the geese, which (-for me) was a tremendous anticlimax. I was really looking forward to the sophisticated evasive bicycle maneuvers, with legs and arms frantically flailing in defense, but instead we rode calmly through the “no-fly” zone unmolested. Rats!

The weather cooperated despite dire warnings of rain showers, and the clouds actually benefited us by keeping the temperatures comfortable. We experienced a tailwind going out, and a headwind on the return. –Normal weather behavior for an Anniston ride!

We picked up a new rider in our group. Benaslopoke joined us at Florence Rd, and rode to the end and back. We did the now normal Cedartown lunch stop, and the State Line and Piedmont break before arriving in Anniston.

What stands out the most on this trip was the scent of freshly blooming honeysuckle. We enjoyed the pleasant perfume smell for almost the entire trip, and on cold winter nights, that will be the memory from this ride!

We also rode back with NealU and VernZ who met us close to the state line. Vern was still sporting his “Cross-the US” beard growth. He wanted us to see it before his wife made him shave it off that night. So we rode the remainder of the return ride with an excellent imitation of some Confederate General. In my opinion, he should be up there with all of the other Confederate heros, on the side of Stone Mountain, riding his bike, with his helmet over his heart…

Reply with quote Back to top
webgeek
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2009 - 02:10 AM
Ultra Distance
Ultra Distance

YP --
Good to see your gang Tues (they had stopped at Florence) to bad I missed Vernz. Looks like everyone enjoyed the ride back.

Yuppiepuppie
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2009 - 02:16 PM
Distance Rider
Distance Rider

It's always nice to put a face to a name that we type to on the board. It makes the person more "real".

Yes we had a good trip, although we were pretty much toast by the time we arrived at Florence Rd. Still, Veloneil & I managed to race back to the Publix...or at least until the traffic thickened, then we played dodge-em baby carriages and skaters at a much reduced speed.

We DID watch this one jerk ride 20+ mph through a gaggle of 4-6 year olds, barely missing one child in the process. As he passed me I hollered out slowdownas*hole! -He looked up, but continued on in his dangerous way.

-a shame!

Neal

Jump to: